Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2000 C70 ABS and Electrical issues

Old 12-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 C70 ABS and Electrical issues

Howdy,

I amnot a car expert, and am hoping that someone might give me some advice...

I recently purchased a 2000 C70 HT coupe, which is gorgeous but temperamental. Got a great deal on the car and knew going in that there wasa fair bit ofrepair work to be done, but am hoping you may be able to give me some advice on a couple of the issues:

1. Occasionally, I get a pulsing/clicking sensationAND resistance in the brake pedal-- the car's breaking distance is INCREASED when this happens, and there doesn't really seem to be any logic to when or why it occurs. Sometimes, but not all the time the ABS and STC lights come on. I've never owned a car with ABS brakes before, but I was under the impression that when they malfunctioned they weren't supposed to make it harder to stop the car than if the car didn't have them...

There are some other quirks with the electrical system and I'm wondering whether they may be related:

- Driver side headlight is dimmer than passenger; driver side headlight wiper blade moves slowly and occasionally stops in up position.
- Key fob unlocks doors from 10-15 ft. with no problem, but will not lock the door or unlock the trunk even when I'm standing right next to the car. Fob has a brand-new battery.
- Driver side window rolls down no problem, but is a pain to get back up again. I don't think it's an issue with the motor as it's not slower going up, but I have to pull, tug, or jiggle the switch to get it going.
- Center vent for passenger climate control makes a noise when passenger a/c is not set to either lowest or highest setting. Sounds a lot like a cd player trying to read a cd, and gets progressively louder.

I know these all seem pretty unrelated, but I figured I'd ask...

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: 2000 C70 ABS and Electrical issues

1.Most likely a bad ABS module.
2.Maybe one old bulb and one new one.
3.Not really sure.
4.Sounds like the window regulator is going bad.
5.Might have a bad Blend motor.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:43 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first mistake you made was buying a used Volvo that was not perfect! The reason it was not perfect and it was for sale is that it cost and arm and a leg to repair.............no, make that two arms and a leg. You need a new ABS unit. Search this site and you will find a company that will rebuild yours for a fraction of the dealer cost. It also appears that you need a window switch. To unlock the trunk you must press the trunk button on the fob twice. You have a bad ground re the head lamp issue. I'm not sure about the wiper.............you may need a new motor. Perhaps TECH will see your posting and comment on your troubles. In the meantime..............cash in your IRA for repair cash and welcome to the club.

r.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input; that's about what I expected...

Hi reg,
I'm going to redeem myself a little -- the carappeared to beperfect when I purchased it 6 months ago. I had it checked out at two different Volvo mechanics prior to purchasing it and neither one found anything aside from a couple ofroutine maintenance items. Some issues have recently popped up, but part of my research on the C70 led me to believe I was going to spend a lot more on repairs than my previous car (Honda Civic), and that appears to be the case. I just happen to think the car is so beautiful that I will allow forits temperament.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 AM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you re: the appearance and interior of the c70. That is precisely the reason I bought mine.............however..............I bought it when I was traveling through the Tampa airport...........never saw one before and it looked like a Mercedes CLK which I had considered buying until I found out about it's particular oddities and chose not to purchase it. When I saw the c70 I had no idea what it was but knew it was a Volvo because of the grille. My dealer when called told me what it was but he had none and I wanted one...........NOW. I found one on the internet in Cinncinnati and flew down and bought it on-the-spot. It ran well for several years (its a 2002) and then the issues began and it was at that time that I found the Volvo forum and TECH. At any rate, welcome to the club and keep the maintenance up 125% and your problems will be reduced. Lastly my warranty (standard) had mostly taken care of the big issues and I now do premptive service so that I won't have large issues down the road.

r.