Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

2007 C70 Vs VW EOS

Old 05-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 C70 Vs VW EOS

Still Shopping: I've test driven both the Volvo C70 and the VW EOS. I will be purchasing one or the other very soon. I really liked the Volvo C70 except for the unusual amount of wind for the back set passengers vs the EOS.For those of you that have owned your C70 for a while, has this been a significant ownership problem?

Any buyors remose for the C70 owners?

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:06 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 C70 Vs VW EOS

I drive an old (02) c70 and enjoy it immensely. It would be a cold day in **** when I would drive a VW 'though. The demographics point to the fact that it is "girly man" auto.

All kidding aside, I do enjoy the old c70.

r.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:27 PM

I test drove both the VW Eos and the C70 (both being 2007 models) before deciding on the C70. The third car on my short list was the Audi A4 cabriolet. (Liked the A4 very much, but I was drawn to the retractable hard-tops of the VW and Volvo.)

I did not do a comparison of back-seat wind noise and turbulence, but from the front seat I felt that the C70 had less noise and wind turbulence than the Eos. It is of course important to try this with windows both up and down, as well as with and without the wind-blocker installed, to get a fair comparison between cars. Road and Track's recent Eos/C70 comparison also noted the C70 as being quieter and less turbulent with the top down.

I was testing the Eos with the 2.0T engine, and tested both cars only with automatics. I thought that the Eos seemed a little quicker than the C70, but it was probably mostly due to a somewhat more immediate throttle-feel, rather than a real difference in acceleration. That said, the Eos probably does accelerate a bit faster off of the line, due to it having VW's very nice 6-speed DSG "automatic-shifting manual" transmission, with very quick/precise shifting, as well as lower gearing, whereas the Volvo has a more traditional 5-speed automatic. Although the Volvo transmission has a manual-shifting mode, it is basically a regular automatic, aimed more at smoothness than VW's DSG. The C70 outbraked the Eos, and had marginally better handling numbers, although this was with a C70 that had the optional 18" wheels and summer performance tires package (Pirelli PZero Rosso's), which probably helped the C70's handling a bit.

I like VW interiors, in general, but in my opinion the C70 has it all over the VW in both exterior and interior styling. The C70 just seems to be put together better, and exudes a higher level of quality. The Eos' top design, that includes a retractable sun-roof as the "third" roof panel, is prettyclever, but my wife's comment was that she felt that the whole car shook too much when the top was raised or lowered, as opposed to the more solidfeel of the C70.

Some VW models suffer from the "chick-car"label. I think this applies less to the Eos than some other models, but there is still a bit of the "cuteness" factor with an Eos. I would have been OK with driving an Eos (the car was being purchased as my wife's primary car, but with me driving ita fair amount also), but this was a bit of a negative for me. The C70 is not exactly macho either, I suppose, but I would call it sleek and stylish, as opposed to"cute", in the same way that Jaguars are stylish. (Plus, we got a black one, which helps out in the man-appeal.)

Of the three cars, my wife had it C70, then Eos, then Audi. I had it C70, then Audi, then Eos. If the BMW had been out already, I would have looked closely at the 328i (the 335i being more than I wanted to spend). Left to my own devices, I would have also had the Mustang GT convertible on the short list. But, my wife is sort of anti-BMW for some reason, and thought that the Mustang GT was a little too much "boy-racer" for her.

All told, the pros of the C70 won out over the pros of the Eos, despite the C70 costing more. This is also more or less in agreement with the Road and Track comparision, which ended by saying that you pay more for the C70, and you get more.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:10 AM

Thats like comparing a porsce to a nissan. None of my back seat passengers have complained. I am extremely satisfied with my 2007 C70. I already have 11K miles on it. My top is down except if it is raining and drops under 60 degrees.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:34 AM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely! It's a convertible................what do you expect? I have a MX-5 convertible and an Austin Healey convertible. Why?? I want the wind in my face! I truly could care less about the issues in the back seat.

r.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:49 PM

The VW in no way compares to the Volvo; you'll get what you pay for.