Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

'98 c70 odd steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 c70 odd steering issue

On my 1998 c70 coupe, the steering has been acting up lately. It steers fairly easily in general, but sometimes (especially when the weather is cold), it will develop what i can only describe as "dead spots" where it will feel like the steering is getting bound up. About every 1/4 turn of the steering wheel (not really consistent) it will feel like its getting kind of stuck, once you get past that spot it is fine till the next "dead spot". When is gets in one of these dead spots it may not return to center by itself and makes it a little difficult for my wife to drive like this. Fluid is full and clean.

The car has about 140k mi and I can only assume the entire suspension is original. The front end has its fair share of rattles/clunks over bumps and when turning sharply. I am already planning on doing at least the upper mounts, bearing plates (thinking these might be getting bound up?), and sway bar links.

My question is: Is this common behavior for bad bearing plates? or does this sound more like a steering rack? I cannot find any leaks around the rack, and it does not lose fluid. I jacked up the front of the car and with it running the issue all but went away (although you could feel the most subtle binding while the front wheels were off the ground). It is not a severe issue, but it is just enough to get really annoying. I just want to know what I may be up against (if the bearing plates will most likely fix it or if there might be a more serious issue).

thanks

Last edited by tuner4life; 01-28-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:52 AM

I am not a mechanic but I do have an opinion as to what may be the culprit. There is a steering g shaft joint on mostly all cars. This joint needs to be greased because it could go bad over time if it isn't. Sounds as if there is very little lubrication arou d this joint because the problem only shows Jo when it is cold outside. There should be someone here on this site that could confirm my opinion and tell you where to Fi d this joint if I am correct.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds more like bushings worn binding steering suspenion, mine does same thing sometimes. I ordered all all new bushings for my front end. Short term help, soak all bushings with silicone spray. Checking all grease points on front end is a good thing also. Any odd tire wear? Binding when turning? Have you completed a ball joint wiggle test?

1998 C70, Coupe, 2.3 HPT, Auto, 37k miles

Old 01-29-2012, 11:40 AM

I didn't even think about the steering shaft joint. Ill have to check that tonight. There is no abnormal tire wear that I can see, there is some binding when turning as described in the first post. I will also check the ball joints tonight. I will give it a thurough look over tonight and report back if I find anything significant. Thanks for the ideas.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:27 PM

Alright. I have the front struts removed. The end links are shot. The upper mounts are fair at best, and the upper bearings are pretty loose and make a grinding noise when I spin them. The ball joints and tie rods feel tight and do not have any slop. Once I disconnected the tie rods, I turned the car on and spun the steering wheel lock to lock and didn't feel any binding. I lubed the column u joint under the dash just in case. Control arm bushings seem just fine. I guess ill replace all the worn parts and see if anything is better after its put back together.

Any other ideas?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 AM

When it is very cold I first started it up and turned the wheel (tie rods detached from the knuckles), and i could feel some of the same binding. So now I believe that it is in the column or the rack. I want to replace the column u joint first and see if that makes a difference before I throw a rack under it.

Is this the correct U-Joint that I need?

eEuroparts - Steering U-Joint - # 9485812

Also, it looks pretty cramped in there, is there a write up the best way to get to it?

thanks.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by tuner4life
When it is very cold I first started it up and turned the wheel (tie rods detached from the knuckles), and i could feel some of the same binding. So now I believe that it is in the column or the rack. I want to replace the column u joint first and see if that makes a difference before I throw a rack under it.

Is this the correct U-Joint that I need?

eEuroparts - Steering U-Joint - # 9485812

Also, it looks pretty cramped in there, is there a write up the best way to get to it?

thanks.

Did you find a solution to this problem? My 2002 c70 ht has the same issue and its getting worse. The steering wheel will turn 1/5 turn the bind up then another 1/5 turn the bind again

Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM

Yes, Replacing that steering joint alleviated the binding.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM

Thanks, I used WD-40 to loosen it up and then greased it. Seems to be working until I can get the part ordered and installed.