Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

99 C70 Coupe: Rear Window Issues (Wind/Water)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 C70 Coupe: Rear Window Issues (Wind/Water)

My new-to-me 99 C70 coupe with 135,xxx miles has some issues with the rear windows and the way they seal. I've searched and can't find anything on this issue.

When I bought it, the test drive didn't show any unusual wind noise and the car sounded airtight. After I brought it home, I opened the rear windows because it was a hot day and I was going to be parked a while. After I closed them, I noticed a significant amount of road noise and it sounded like the door/windows were open. I checked and they were closed. If I pressed the window up and in, I could get a better seal on both sides. There is still a higher-than-test-drive level of wind noise coming from both windows.

On the driver's side, the window frame/enclosure seems a bit loose on the rear portion. I can take pictures tomorrow when it's light out.

Today I went through a car wash, and I got a small amount (less than a teaspoon) of leakage through both rear windows on the rear portion of the frame.

I've inspected the plastic seals and didn't notice cracks/tears/rips. The glass is intact and the hinges work fine. That said, the windows are hard to open and required effort/light force to open the first time.

I'd like to fix this because it's both annoying on the highway and is a concern for water leakage when it rains. Should I be looking at new window gaskets? I'm lost as to how to deal with this.

Thanks so much!

Old 07-20-2013, 03:37 PM

Anyone? I'd really appreciate some guidance as to how to get some responses. I tried to post as much info as I have. Please do tell me what I need to do to get some help with this.

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 PM

It sounds like you have the right idea. With the car being a 99 and probably hardly had the rear windows used, the seal could have become hard and brittle. What happens when you have the window open and scratch it with your fingernail? I'd also like to see the pictures you mentioned about the loose frame. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door/window gasket

Originally Posted by T1G3R
Anyone? I'd really appreciate some guidance as to how to get some responses. I tried to post as much info as I have. Please do tell me what I need to do to get some help with this.

Thanks!
Apply brake fluid with a cloth to seals to make it more plyable.