Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

ABS/Service Engine Tool--best for Volvo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ABS/Service Engine Tool--best for Volvo?

Hi Folks... In another different Thread chat we talked about some ABS issues and the Module and so on... Currently I own a couple of cheap knock off engine light testers and they fine for what they are...

But it looks like I may have to up my game!! I need to find a good one that does both ABS and engine light...Figured I go to Amazon to see what folks are commenting on them.......GEESHHHH! DANE!! I figure there'd be only a few to choose from that good for Volvo...After going through and reading 50 some pages full....I'm confused as to what's the best to buy. I figure I should get one that "reads and erases" code in ABS and the such...or they use the word "resets"...right?? Can anyone tell me what they bought? I'd like it to be good for the Volvo ABS and such...but I have other brands of vehicles as well..along with friends who stop by...so what would be the best and reasonably priced unit? I'd like to keep it below the 200$ mark.

Thanks in advance....for any input.....so what one do you have in your tool box!?

Old 01-11-2023, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

As you've figured out, the OBD2 codes are sorted into sets by computer function. Just about all will read the P codes (ie power train codes are mostly emissions and engine management based) and to get extras like ABS codes or SRS codes you need to check the specs of the scanner. Two other things to consider - newer cars often have reset codes for features like an electronic parking brake (good to have if you want to change your rear brake pads) and some scanners have extra programming to read manufacturer proprietary codes (some of the code numbers are allowed to be proprietary in terms of their true function.

Your options will also vary based on whether you want to do a more advanced scan of an older volvo (ie say early 2000s or older) or a newer car.

A quick check on google or Amazon and you should find some models ffor under $200 - iCarsoft, Innova and Foxwell are well documented on Amazon. You can also search eBay for VIDA DICE - where you get the adaptor cable plus some 2014D theftware software but caveot emptor there... If you are planning on making Volvo repairs a hobby that may be worth a try, if all you want to do is view/clear ABS and SRS codes then one of the hand helds may be the deal. One other product to check out is the BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro. Its an OBD2 adaptor that uses bluetooth to talk to a diagnostics program you install on a smart phone or PC - and they tout supporting all the code sets. Personally I like the idea of having downloadable apps since you can always upgrade when you want more features.

The following users liked this post:
dougrock (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 02:48 PM

As you've figured out, the OBD2 codes are sorted into sets by computer function. Just about all will read the P codes (ie power train codes are mostly emissions and engine management based) and to get extras like ABS codes or SRS codes you need to check the specs of the scanner. Two other things to consider - newer cars often have reset codes for features like an electronic parking brake (good to have if you want to change your rear brake pads) and some scanners have extra programming to read manufacturer proprietary codes (some of the code numbers are allowed to be proprietary in terms of their true function.

Your options will also vary based on whether you want to do a more advanced scan of an older volvo (ie say early 2000s or older) or a newer car.

A quick check on google or Amazon and you should find some models ffor under $200 - iCarsoft, Innova and Foxwell are well documented on Amazon. You can also search eBay for VIDA DICE - where you get the adaptor cable plus some 2014D theftware software but caveot emptor there... If you are planning on making Volvo repairs a hobby that may be worth a try, if all you want to do is view/clear ABS and SRS codes then one of the hand helds may be the deal. One other product to check out is the BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro. Its an OBD2 adaptor that uses bluetooth to talk to a diagnostics program you install on a smart phone or PC - and they tout supporting all the code sets. Personally I like the idea of having downloadable apps since you can always upgrade when you want more features.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, ok some food for thought there...I'm only half overwhelmed now. Answer my own questions here.. I don't plan on becoming a Volvo die hard fan...so I think we can rule out the VIDA... The Bluetooth sounds like a great way to go...but me being old and out of date..my PC and my laptop would yell at me and say what's "Bluetooth" ...lol...so I'd be spending about 120 for the scan hardware...then whatever it costs to upgrade to Bluetooth acceptable PC, Laptop or the such...I'm lucky I got out of floppy into flash and using a USB...lol...so does this mean I should be looking at the handheld deal?...sounds like I may. Lot's of choices there.. for sure it must view and clear ABS and SRS and along perhaps the reset deal for rear brake if I live long enough to be playin' around on one of those elec park deals... So all that said thinking out loud..What would be one's favorite in a hand held scanner??? I think it was the Innova that I saw on Amazon it was about 120...??? but others are trying to barge in and speak their product greatness....then finding Amazon reviews to be up, down, and all around....so...?????????????????????? ohh to answer...yes the Volvo is a year 2000....C70///

Last edited by dougrock; 01-12-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I see FCP Euro sells the Autel scanners - there's one model for $125 that says it does P codes, ABS and SRS. not sure what year your car is but if you can do a service interval reset via the trip reset button that unit should fit your needs.

dougrock (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
I see FCP Euro sells the Autel scanners - there's one model for $125 that says it does P codes, ABS and SRS. not sure what year your car is but if you can do a service interval reset via the trip reset button that unit should fit your needs.
INTERESTING!!!! off the bat, honestly I never heard of FCP so had to look that up. My thought of the link below is it was very informative...The Autel backs up their product in a few ways...My Volvo btw is a 2000.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aut...al629#warranty

mt6127...could you explain the service interval reset...via trip reset button...I'm quite sure I have that in this car...however I'm going a bit blind without an owners manual for this thing...

What has got me to all this!?? Chain of events. Needed Turbo new, old turbo locked up along with wastegate. That went well, did oxy sensors while doing that, ended up with a new one on the upside defective, replaced that. Also had an issue with Battery, it was only doing 100 amps on a load, put new one in. Drove 40 miles went to service station, they hooked up, no codes, get inspected. before all that, I forgot...I figured out I had a powersteering unit on it's way out(high pitch noise)...put new in, in the process I found something nobody in the world would have seen or figured out...the power steering reservoir has a tube inside to bring the fluid down to the bottom...it had come apart and was stuck in outgoing line. Also had to replace the antifreeze reservoir as it's plastic became brittle and it was pissin' fluid around. Just for mention the car only has 80K miles=grandma's Florida car! So just as I thought I had some freedom from all this...my brakes fight back at me, the ABS shutter's...only way I can describe it. The car a year ago got ALL 4 brakes done! All looked fine and was working great at that time.
However now...even with the ABS seeming to be an issue...I've gotten no ABS light to come on...but that is normal so I'm told...I figure I should still hook up ABS scanner to see if there's any messages?? In my quest of research...I found this link very informative...see below...it speaks about the ABS module...On my chevy truck when I had the "shuttering" of the ABS-brake pedal...all I had to do was replace the wheel sensor...but...in Volvo...read what this guy said ...it's most likely not that...??? Anyhow....here we are...

https://midwest-abs.com/troubleshooting

Old 01-13-2023, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

re the service interval light - your car has two different service lights, the "Check Engine" light to indicate a fault code was presented and a "maintenance interval" reminder light. the check engine light requires viewing and clearing the stored OBD2 fault codes (what the scanner is for). The maintenance interval light (I think on the 2000s it just says "Service" on the cluster) is reset by turning the key to position 1 (gauges on, car off), press and hold the trip odometer reset button, turn the key to position 2 (the run position, but don't start the car) wait about 20 seconds for the service light to flash then release the button. On older models, a special tool was required or if the car had the OBD1 (prior to 1996) you'd use the diagnostics port (a little black box with an LED and button).

https://www.ipdusa.com/Articles/579/...r-Volvo-Models is a handy bookmark.

dougrock (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 11:26 AM

re the service interval light - your car has two different service lights, the "Check Engine" light to indicate a fault code was presented and a "maintenance interval" reminder light. the check engine light requires viewing and clearing the stored OBD2 fault codes (what the scanner is for). The maintenance interval light (I think on the 2000s it just says "Service" on the cluster) is reset by turning the key to position 1 (gauges on, car off), press and hold the trip odometer reset button, turn the key to position 2 (the run position, but don't start the car) wait about 20 seconds for the service light to flash then release the button. On older models, a special tool was required or if the car had the OBD1 (prior to 1996) you'd use the diagnostics port (a little black box with an LED and button).

https://www.ipdusa.com/Articles/579/...r-Volvo-Models is a handy bookmark.
U are spot on...yes I was aware there were two service "lights". When I got the car the "service" one would stay on for only 4 mins after car started...I figured that was NOT the "engine" service light...and when the "engine" one came on for the oxy sensor deal...I knew they where two separate things!! Thank you so much for telling me how to "reset" this "service" one with the key!!..I would have no idea how...
Now for the stupid question...on my Chevy truck I have something similar... tells ya oil change and blah blah...you can read it on a screen... says "do oil change"...or to that effect... but where on this Volvo does it "tell" you what the service light is coming on for...?? There's only a little window where clock, temp and few other things are...but I see nothing different.... again remember this car is "fairly" new to me..and sure wish it came with owners manual...it would take out a little of the guess work...Kinda impressive that Volvo was ahead of other's in that year offering these "extra" feature's of gadgets..I admit it a very nice smooth car to drive..when everything is working right..

BTW....I went back to the investigation of the "readers" ... I noticed in the Autel you have to be careful there too...some are being sold where you have to buy a program for 10$ for each make of vehicle you use the tester for....blah! spit spit.....lol...I've been going back and forth with a friend who like's to do research on topic's I come up with...He gave me an offer... He has a cell phone that still works with wifi in his home...and it has blue tooth...but it's not activated to use as a cell phone...he uses it for his facebook market place to take pic's and put items up for sale...He said he would give that phone up to me...if it would work with the "bluetooth readers" as you mentioned...I think when he researched your idea with the bluetooth reader...he liked what they offered(as I did)...but it would need something we could read what it does ....do you think this "un-active" cell phone would work??

Thanks again for all the help!! Baby steps work well with me...so thanks for the patience...I'm learnin' a little more as we go!!

Old 01-13-2023, 12:03 PM
Received 600 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by dougrock
where on this Volvo does it "tell" you what the service light is coming on for...??
The service light simply comes on xxxx miles after being reset. The service light interval can be programmed on some cars to be 5000, 7500, 10000 miles. It's an oil change reminder light. For other service items needed (such as a timing belt, spark plugs, etc) you would refer to a service schedule.

dougrock (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
The service light simply comes on xxxx miles after being reset. The service light interval can be programmed on some cars to be 5000, 7500, 10000 miles. It's an oil change reminder light. For other service items needed (such as a timing belt, spark plugs, etc) you would refer to a service schedule.
Thank you...so basically my "service" light is just an oil change indicator...without an actual screen saying "change oil" Ok, that's cool...cuz I just did an oil change, so I'm going to follow those key turn steps and clear the service light....and when it comes on next time...it will be reminding me of an oil change...umm...wonder what it's set at..?? 5k 7k or 10k...anyhoots!!! heeeeeeehawwwwww...soon with all the help... I'll know this Volvo with my eye's closed(of course not while driving) ;-) Funny how my 1999 GMC truck a year older....actually has a screen that tell's me "change oil"...or "pisser fluid low" "low gas"...not bad for a truck that floated in a river for miles and miles!! A storm took it away in the south...I got it as a salvage...What's kinda funny...is it has only needed tires and brakes and of course oil changes...While all the other vehicles I've owned or own...this one..bails me out every time they puke...I had two different 1987 type trucks...they also gave me over 10 yrs of service without anything major...water pump once...oxy sensor once...then of course the basic's. They too both GM products(frames rusted out)...No..I'm not a die hard GM fan....but...gotta admit....I can't do no bitchin'...My lady during the rough college days of commute had a 83 buick skylark...it gave us 20yrs!(rear end separated from car) ran great! Got a Honda for her...seats rock hard..problems every month with it...serious ones...?? My family...have same...they got 600,000 miles on their's.......????? What the heck am I doing with a Volvo!!?? LOL

Thank's Guys!! Hey mt6127...I just noticed after re reading...you sent me a link!! Ipdusa...thanks...I'll check that out!

Old 01-13-2023, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

I can't complain about Volvos and I'm a drive em till they die kind of person - we owned a 1995 850T since new that was retired at 250K miles when we inherited a 15 year newer car. Only complaint was having to replace the AC evaporator at $$$. Son still drives our 2000 S40 but that doesn't have as many miles on it. That one was also inherited. Big mistake was my mom thought that her 86 240DL was too old (having own a horribly flawed Buick previously) so she traded for the S40 in 2001. Who knew that the 240 would probably had lasted another 20 years. The S40 replaced my Audi 4K Quattro - which I ran up 250K+ miles (bad move, those are very rare these days) and our Highlander is only at 220K right now (probably going hybrid/electric when we decide to replace that one). If you can do some of the work on your own, keep up with the maintance/source your own parts and have a spare car then you're good to go. :-)

dougrock (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 06:07 AM

I can't complain about Volvos and I'm a drive em till they die kind of person - we owned a 1995 850T since new that was retired at 250K miles when we inherited a 15 year newer car. Only complaint was having to replace the AC evaporator at $$$. Son still drives our 2000 S40 but that doesn't have as many miles on it. That one was also inherited. Big mistake was my mom thought that her 86 240DL was too old (having own a horribly flawed Buick previously) so she traded for the S40 in 2001. Who knew that the 240 would probably had lasted another 20 years. The S40 replaced my Audi 4K Quattro - which I ran up 250K+ miles (bad move, those are very rare these days) and our Highlander is only at 220K right now (probably going hybrid/electric when we decide to replace that one). If you can do some of the work on your own, keep up with the maintance/source your own parts and have a spare car then you're good to go. :-)
It's too funny how things work out for who, what and the maker/brand!! I always thought I'd end up in the ...you know...Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes or such group as you speak about mt6127...but ...for me it was what was available at the time...I'm lucky to be alive...I started out with two Ford Pinto's ..one the station wagon and the other hatchback...I got un heard of miles with them!!! My mother had picked up a Toyota...it was just one of them lemons...then she got my Dad's Subaru...that ended up being a headache after the 100K mark...but on a positive note...before those other cars..my folks came home way back in the day with two VW bugs from Germany!!...they lasted us over 20yrs!!! so who's to tell....lol... I've got friends who are funny...they are Mopar Diehards....Jeeps....jeeps all the way! It does not matter how long they last...or how well they are...they a Mopar! so.....even if it get's fixed every week...it's the great Mopar! ...lol...that's ok..what every float's yur boat I say to them. I had a Dodge with one of them slant Six's....it was a GREAT car!! so can't say anything bad. And I have to admit...Dodge did good with the Slants..the Cummins 12...and the minivan...once they got the Mitch motor figured out with the faulty valve guides after 40K... Rode in a friends Highlander alot...thought that was a nice car. Had a Toyota Avalone ..put a rack and pin in that...it was a nice smooth car got it at 70 sold it at 100K...not sure why I did...

Anyhoots....lot's of stories I'm sure we could tell.... I couldn't really point a finger at any.. my luck has been the GM stuff as for longevity ...My sadness is that growing up I felt USA was the cat's meow...but we sold our soul.. suddenly America couldn't make great cars...the other countries took more pride in their build...That NAFTA agreement crap....it was never done right... Now American named cars are better??....but they really not American. All our companies and factories are in other countries?? What's the rule? the Car can be 80% foreign made...but still carry the American name? Come on...just be done with it...give Canada, Mexico, or Germany the credit....or whom ever really put the car together... Ohh...and off topic...ya gotta luv (not) the new Briggs and Strat ...the motor is made in Mexico...it's ALL plastic parts! yes sir! inside and even the whole carb!! If I need a push mower...I pick up one of them pre 80's Briggs at a garage sale...they last more summers than the plastic Briggs!! Throw away market... Well, onto making a choice on the scanner ordeal...time for me to up my game I guess in that dept.

Thanks for the Tips! Keep the wheels on the road!