Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

OBDII scanner usage

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII scanner usage

Is there any special trick to reading OBDII codes? I borrowed a CODEKEY scanner from a friend, and when I plugged it in, it says "No codes found".

That seems a bit odd since my ABS module is bad, and my CEL light is also on. The last time a shop read my OBDII, he said there were a lot of ABS codes that came up. So, it seems odd to have nothing come up.

I tried the scanner with the key in the II position (lights on, radio on, engine off) and that work. I tried with the car on, and that didn't work. I tried after a 5 mile drive, and that didn't work. The scanner just says "searching" and then comes up with "no codes found"

My car is a 1998 S70 T5 with about 129k miles.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Certain models of OBDII code readers don't support all of the various protocols... specifically the European (ISO) protocols. This could be your problem. Most Actron code readers will work fine. Keep in mind that OBDII code readers will only read powertrain (engine and transmission)codes- NOT ABS, SRS, or other codes. However, I'll tell you what's wrong with your ABS system: you need a control module rebuild. Do a forum search for "Vic Rocha," to find a guy that rebuilds them, or, look on eBay- there's a few companies that either sell reman ABS modules on an exchange basis, or rebuild yours. BBA- reman is one company I've dealt with a few times, and had great luck. They rebuild yours cheaply, and give you a lifetime guarantee. Turnaround time is like 3 days from shipping to return. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, you can try and fix it yourself: usually, there's a bunch of solder joints that have cracked/ failed. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you might be able to pop it open and fix it yourself. Build up the connections, though, to prevent future problems.

Disclaimer: it's entirely possible that there's some other problem with the ABS system other than the control module. There are ways to test sensors and switches. However, the likelihood of it being something other than a failed module is pretty darn slim.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've actually already gotten my ABS rebuilt; I just haven't reinstalled it yet.

The ABS module doesn't trigger the CEL as far as I know. So, there's some other problem going on ... The scanner was able to read the codes off my dad's Lexus, so I know the scanner at least works. Hmm, maybe I'll ask my other friend who has a scanner.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The scanner either works or it wont. No trick to it. I got a cheap scanner from eBay for about $65 that works fine.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, like I said... certain scanners don't do all of the OBD-II protocols. Most cars communicate using a couple, as well, so it's not a problem, usually... however, Volvos, among others ONLY use the ISO... (some string of numbers) protocol, and not all scanners do. I know for sure that Actron corporation's scanners will work fine, and you can find them for as little as $30 on Amazon.