Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

advise on which HID kit to get

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advise on which HID kit to get

i wanna have some bright head lights, but i don't want it to be unreasonably super bright.

so, is the 35 watt kit bright enough like the factory BMW or BENZ headlights or will i be happy with the 55 watt kit?

i plan on getting my kit from sharp HID in hte next day or so.

thanks

Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you live and drive in city traffic mostly then I would get the 35w kit. Cheaper and less likely to blind oncoming traffic, plus you have the additional street lighting. Just stay below 5k for white lights.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

35W kit will do just fine and agreed 4300k-5000k for the brightest light possible.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:55 PM

ok so, i was thinking, i really want that light blue tint, so i think imma go with the 6000k in the 35w kit. i am in the city alot, but i do drive to NY from FL sometimes and I95 has it's dark spots.

so, the 35w kit is the same as the low beams on the bimmers and benzes? i'm gonna place my order tonightafter i get a response.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PANTYEATR
ok so, i was thinking, i really want that light blue tint, so i think imma go with the 6000k in the 35w kit. i am in the city alot, but i do drive to NY from FL sometimes and I95 has it's dark spots.

so, the 35w kit is the same as the low beams on the bimmers and benzes? i'm gonna place my order tonightafter i get a response.
If that is the type of light then go for it. I still think you will get annoyed with the light output after awhile.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 PM

well i did it. i purchased the 35w kit with the 8000k heat range cause i really like the crystal blue color. now we just play the waiting game. i'll post pics in my project log.

thanks for all the input.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 AM

well i did it. i purchased the 35w kit with the 8000k heat range cause i really like the crystal blue color. now we just play the waiting game. i'll post pics in my project log.

thanks for all the input.
So you don't mind the fact that you paid the same amount of money for less light output? The only thing you got was a color change.

If that is all your going for then by all means... But I for one would appreciate the light output more then the color. Seeing as for most people HID's are bought to produce more light.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by mkc70
I still think you will get annoyed with the light output after awhile.
I have had mine for over a year now and love it every minute I use them. I can actually see things at night I normally othereise wouldn't.

Also since your not looking directly at them they don't bother you as the driver.

Yes I don't like looking head on at them when other drivers are coming toward me, but I love having mine and wouldn't give them up for anything.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 PM

S70 are you sure that the light output will be exactly the same as a 55w halogen bulb?

i think that the HIDs will put out way more light than the halogen no matter what due to the process they ues to make light. you recommended 43k -5k for the brightest light, but being that its only 3k more i can't see why the output would be so degraded.

another thing is why would the honda s2000, BMW, mercedes, audi etc put some bulbs in their cars that shine a crystal blue or even sometimes purple if that meant light output was equal to a halogen? remember i have projector headlights and the halogens worked pretty well, but i have yet to experience HID power.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 PM

They will be brighter then Halogen for sure. However the light output is less then what you get with 4300K-5000K.

That is the Kelvin scale for you.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 PM

yeah i hear you S70. maybe when i come into some more dough, i'll get a kit for the high beams, but of course i want them to be the yellow ones, i think 3500k. the yellow really lights up signs and make you noticable to the bastards that like to sleep and drive or talk on the cell phone, not paying attention to anything else like driving!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 PM
ICE

Originally Posted by S70driver
They will be brighter then Halogen for sure. However the light output is less then what you get with 4300K-5000K.

That is the Kelvin scale for you.

Im looking for the same in my C70.

I had 55w 8000K in my Opel Astra and the lights were unreal and sooo bright. My friend has them in his projectors and while they are still several times better than regular bulbs they are as bright as mine. I dont think it will make any difference if he gets 4200K or 8000K simply because the HID's are so much brighter than regular bulbs.

Last edited by S70driver; 02-24-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by ICE
Im looking for the same in my C70.

I had 55w 8000K in my Opel Astra and the lights were unreal and sooo bright. My friend has them in his projectors and while they are still several times better than regular bulbs they are as bright as mine. I dont think it will make any difference if he gets 4200K or 8000K simply because the HID's are so much brighter than regular bulbs.
Obviously you people don't want to understand the concept here. I am giving you facts about LUMENS. It is a fact that 4,500K-5,000K produce the most LUMENS (Or light output). Anything above that, you loose LUMENS (Or light output) and all you get is a color change with the higher K bulbs.

But hey I am going by facts here. But believe what you want to believe. Also your eye might think they are just as bright as one another, but the dirty little secret is your eye isn't able to detect a lot of stuff and this is one of them. That is why people measure things with special equipment to be able to make this a fact and not speculation.

Also I am not denying the 6,000K + HID's are bright. All I am stating is that they are less bright the 4,500K to 5,000K.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:34 AM

Last edited by S70driver; 02-24-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:44 PM

i agree with you S70 about the pure light output of the 4k range. i want better lighting, but i also want the color too. i wouldn't do something stupid like a 12K or higher and only thing i would get out of that is a purple or pink light with 4ft of vision.

i just don't get why mercedes, BMW, audi, auston martin and so many high end cars have HIDs that are colorful if they don't put out as much light??? and lets face it, the color is what everyone associates with a luxury car anyway ;P

Last edited by PANTYEATR; 02-24-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 PM

i agree with you S70 about the pure light output of the 4k range. i want better lighting, but i also want the color too. i wouldn't do something stupid like a 12K or higher and only thing i would get out of that is a purple or pink light with 4ft of vision.

i just don't get why mercedes, BMW, audi, auston martin and so many high end cars have HIDs that are colorful if they don't put out as much light??? and lets face it, the color is what everyone associates with a luxury car anyway ;P
AllI am getting at is to prove the truth. Because a lot of people just don't understand.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:42 AM
ICE

sorry mate i wasnt trying to contradict you

you are absolutely spot on.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:07 PM

so, i have my kit in front of me and i'm a lil confused about how they have the wires situated in the box. the red and black power wires from the ballast are routed throught the grommet and have exposed spades on the side where the bulb is.

am i supposed to run power and ground wires through the grommet to connect to them or pull them back through the grommet and make my power connections to the factory headlight harness in the engine compartment?

thanks for the help the instructions are kinda wierd to me for some reason.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 PM

OMG!!!!! WOW...................these HIDs are awsome! it's like night vision x 10. i tried to get pics with my new didgi cam, but it didn't take them too weel at night with the flash on. so, imma try to take some pics in the day and then in the night with different settings to produce the best pics.

if 8K HIDs look this good i can only imagine the 4Ks......

Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
ICE

im taking the plunge and doing it now aswell.

probably going to get 8000k. do the 35w suffice ? also they dont have to be slimline or anythign do they ?

oooh I cant wait. Will wait for a reply until I go ahead with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-C...Q5fAccessories

Quick Reply: advise on which HID kit to get