Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

advise on which HID kit to get

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ICE
im taking the plunge and doing it now aswell.

probably going to get 8000k. do the 35w suffice ? also they dont have to be slimline or anythign do they ?

oooh I cant wait. Will wait for a reply until I go ahead with it.
first are you in Austrailia?

i would see if you can get a 35w kit from sharp HID. second the 35w HID kit is way brighter than your 55w halogens will ever be on high beams! when i'm on the road it looks like all the signs and reflectors on the street are lit up with there own lights. i can only imagine how bright the 55w HID kit looks, you might erase peoples memory with those lights.

they don't have to be slimline, but it will be easier to find a home for the ballast if they are slim.

i have the 8000k kit and to me they are a perfect blend of color and light output. let us know what you go with.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 PM
ICE

Originally Posted by PANTYEATR
first are you in Austrailia?

i would see if you can get a 35w kit from sharp HID. second the 35w HID kit is way brighter than your 55w halogens will ever be on high beams! when i'm on the road it looks like all the signs and reflectors on the street are lit up with there own lights. i can only imagine how bright the 55w HID kit looks, you might erase peoples memory with those lights.

they don't have to be slimline, but it will be easier to find a home for the ballast if they are slim.

i have the 8000k kit and to me they are a perfect blend of color and light output. let us know what you go with.

well ive had 8000K 55w on my Opel and they were unreal ( signs would light up for miles .... had to dip them alot as they were very very bright but it still showed up so much of the road. I was more concerned about the ballast and if I might need a slimline one and whether or not 35w will be enough light but it sounds like it is plenty so im going to go for the 8000K again I think cant wait to get them ............

Old 04-30-2009, 05:14 AM
ICE

oh ... One thing I overlooked. Wont I need a custom thingy to hold the globes, i know i had tot do this for the Opel I had. I dont think they will simply plug and play.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PANTYEATR
OMG!!!!! WOW...................these HIDs are awsome! it's like night vision x 10. i tried to get pics with my new didgi cam, but it didn't take them too weel at night with the flash on. so, imma try to take some pics in the day and then in the night with different settings to produce the best pics.

if 8K HIDs look this good i can only imagine the 4Ks......
1. Use a tripod at night.

2. Don't use a flash at night.

3. Set the ISO on the camera if you can to the highest to take the shots at night.

If this doesn't produce a better picture you need a better camera. Digital SLR will do the trick.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by ICE
im taking the plunge and doing it now aswell.

probably going to get 8000k. do the 35w suffice ? also they dont have to be slimline or anythign do they ?

oooh I cant wait. Will wait for a reply until I go ahead with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-C...Q5fAccessories
I hope your not planning on buying a kit on EBAY like that? Those are HID's. I don't care what it says and what they show not for that price. And they are probably cheap and crap to begin with.

SharpHID.com is where you want to buy from.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ICE
oh ... One thing I overlooked. Wont I need a custom thingy to hold the globes, i know i had tot do this for the Opel I had. I dont think they will simply plug and play.
I have an Apexcone 35w 5000K HID kit from SharpHID.com only mod I had to do with drill a hole through the back of the dust cap of the LOW beam to put the wires through, everything else was Plug and Play.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 AM
ICE

Originally Posted by S70driver
I have an Apexcone 35w 5000K HID kit from SharpHID.com only mod I had to do with drill a hole through the back of the dust cap of the LOW beam to put the wires through, everything else was Plug and Play.

ok cool magool, I thought it might need some minor mod like that

Old 05-04-2009, 02:15 AM
Default H.I.D. replacement?

Hi guys, I've had my '04 C70 for about a week now and am considering the HID replacement...as I read through this thread, do you not need to replace the entire fixture? A HID conversion is just the bulbs and ballasts? HIDs are a better option than projectors? Just trying to clarify things in my head as I move towards customizing my new ride. (I'll be lowering and getting larger wheels soon as well...)
Thanks
-Jonathan

Old 05-04-2009, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by rideagiant
Hi guys, I've had my '04 C70 for about a week now and am considering the HID replacement...as I read through this thread, do you not need to replace the entire fixture? A HID conversion is just the bulbs and ballasts? HIDs are a better option than projectors? Just trying to clarify things in my head as I move towards customizing my new ride. (I'll be lowering and getting larger wheels soon as well...)
Thanks
-Jonathan
Projectors and HID's together are the best option. However if you cannot afford or don't want to do projectors then just HID's will work fine too.

The only draw back is that the OEM housings aren't made for HID's meaning that your going to be blinding people with the light output. But a lot of people do this and it works fine for them.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 PM
ICE

Originally Posted by S70driver
Projectors and HID's together are the best option. However if you cannot afford or don't want to do projectors then just HID's will work fine too.

The only draw back is that the OEM housings aren't made for HID's meaning that your going to be blinding people with the light output. But a lot of people do this and it works fine for them.
as long as they are dipped down they will be fine.....I never got any flashes with my Opel when i had my HID's. even fully dipped they are better than regular lights. Oh and here in Australia they are illegal unless you have them in projectors.