Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C70 Battery Drain

Hello Gentlemen,

I have 2000 Volvo c70.
She's a beauty and runs like a dream but I have been dealing with a battery drain problem for the past 6 months. It started off as rare. I would have a barely drained battery after a long time of use (3 months to a month). After jump starting it, no problems. Soon after it became a bit of a bigger problem. It would
drain after a week. I replaced the battery and that stayed charged for a week. I bough a multimeter and ran tested it on the charging system (also took it to autozone) and it tested fine. This was in Febuary and I was depserate for a solution so I bought a BatteryBrain, which is a device you attach to the battery that stops power from the battery if the battery reaches a certain level. This seemed to cure the problem of the drain but it cut off power almost every time I turned off ignition and left it off for more than an hour. So from Feb until now it would shut off power to the battery and allow me to start it as normal (except the alarm would go off when re-engaging the battery. Well a week ago I got into car like normal, the battery was off and this time it wouldnt start. same problem.
any ideas?

Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 AM

ok I followed the directions on that link last night and I found something interesting. Something is pulling 2.86 amps from the battery when off. I had to test the multimeter on my Honda tomake sure it wasn't malfunctioning. Clearly there is a draw. However, I can't seem to find it. I pulled fuses as instructed and none of them caused any change. I even pulled the big fuses for the blower, powertrain, etc.
The link mentioned removing the alternator main power and trigger, I dont know where to find these. Can anyone direct me to these?

thx

Old 08-04-2010, 06:48 AM

Jed,
Have you checked to make sure that one of your sun visors isnt broken? When the mount on the visors gives out it will sometimes short out the light switch and cause the visor makeup light to come on. The fit on the visor is so tight you cant tell unless you pull the visor down from the headliner very carefully... if you see the light on then there is your drain..

couple of fixes.. most logical is to replace the visor ( $160 new from myswedishparts.com). some people just pull the bulb from the makeup light and are done with it though.