Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 Conversation Thinking of Buying One

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C70 Conversation Thinking of Buying One

That other thread didn't wrap for me and I had to keep moving the screen from left to right to read the text.

I am looking at a light red C70 here in Columbus, OH that has 67K on it. They are asking $11,995 for it, and may not be willing to work with me much. There is white one in Canton, OH, less than 100 miles from here. It has 59,000 miles and they are asking $10,995 and are willing to work from there. They both have the upgraded stereo. The white one does not have the original 17" wheels, but has some nice looking 16" wheels. I will probably keep the wheels from my 850 R and put a set of Columba's from my 94 on it before I trade it in. I should say if I trade it in. I might take it back to the shop before doing anything because it is starting to run rough more frequently the past week.

I think the C70's are hard to find, but I also don't think they sell too fast. So I think these two might be there for a while. The one in Columbus is at a Chevy dealer and I know it's been there for at least two weeks. I went and looked at it. Nice color that light red, almost a cranberry color and it has the light grey interior. The white one has the same interior, and I like white cars quite a bit too.

I will let you guys know if I do anything and thanks for the info.

Jim

Old 03-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: C70 Conversation Thinking of Buying One

The white one sold today. I called to say I was going to come and see it Saturday and they sold it this morning. There goes the theory that they will sit on the lot for a while.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:08 PM
reg

Actually they will go quickly when the right 'browser' comes around. They are a head turner...........it appears that Volvo copied the Mercedes CLK series.............but made the c70 larger. I had the dealer order a matching wood interior. ie: the air ducts, doors, and surrounds around the switches are made of the same real wood that Volvo used in the small amount of wood that they installed in the c70. It truly spruces up the interior. The standard wheel is in 16 inch configuration with an option of a 17 incher. The 17 inch wheel has larger fromt brake discs. The radio uses Dynaudio speakers from Denmark. They are probably the best auto speakers I have ever listened to. I have had the Bose and Marantz systems and have changed speakers to Infinity, Alpine, Blaupaunt, and etc. but the Dynaudio 'stuff' is far and away superior! There are 14 speakers............some are two-way. I would think that the
Cranberry red would look great with a grey interior! This year Volvo c70s have 8 colours......solid black, passion red, metallic silver, white pearl, flint grey, magic blue, celestial blue, and zanzibar gold. The standard wheel is a 17 inch Sadira with the option of an 18 inch Mirzam. Lastly Jim, the 1998 does not have the ETM that is a worry to us, but by the same token, a 98 probably has a ton of miles on it. Drive one for a day and see if you can live with it. I would shy away from the convertible..........they had a plethora of problems with their tops and they do have cowl shake.
Reg

Old 03-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

My wife wants me to find a blue one, and not teal or real dark blue. I know Volvo makes a blue I really like and somebody on here has a wagon that color, but I'm not sure the C70, S70 or 850 came in that color. I won't buy newer than 98 and I am not considering the convertible based on what I have read and the fact that it only has 190 hp vs. 236 on the Couple.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:22 PM
reg

The coupe came with BOTH the low pressure turbo and the high pressure turbo. I forgot to mention that if you obtain a leather interior, the leather wears on the door side where the seat back 'pivots' forward. They all have some wear there just months after new and so don't be alarmed. Google "used Volvo c70" and you will probably find a lot of them for sale around the U.S. and hopefully with the colour you want. Jim, the c70 has its issues but they are a great auto! It's just that the Japanese build such great quality in their autos that you just can't help but contrast the two. Good luck!
Reg

Old 03-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Is there a way to tell which one has the high pressure vs. low pressure turbo? In the 850 you can tell from the VIN number, 57 and 58 in the 6th and 7th positions says HPT. I notice that the ones I am looking at have 537 in positions 6-8 and the 9th position is X, 8, 5, or 1. When I pull up the Model Info on AutoTrader they all say 236 hp and the convertible say 190 hp.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:35 PM
reg

Let me look into that (VIN). Another thought passed my mind. I had the dealer install "backing up radar" as you have no idea where the *** end of the c70 is because of the low deck lid and high rear window. After backing into a lamp pole.............twice..........I had the bumper repainted and had the dealer install a Volvo option of the rear radar. If you have seen autos with the four small discs on the rear bumper, that is what it looks like. When you reverse you will hear a pulsing noise and the closer you come to a fixed object the faster the pulsing becomes until when you are precisly one foot from the object you hear a steady 'beep'. Pretty clever and a must have! I will look into the VIN situation and let you know what I find.
Reg

Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 PM
reg

Jim, under the hood (the underside of the hood) you will find an emission control sticker. the engine will be posted along with the displacement. The low pressure turbo is a 2.4 liter model # B 5244 T. The high presure is a 2.3 liter, model # B 5234 T3. That will identify for sure what engine is in the c70 as the 'sticker' is not easily removed.
Reg

Old 03-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

That's not something you can tell from the add though. I still think there is probably something in the VIN that will tell you which engine it has. Anybody know?

Old 03-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I will try to find out.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

I looked up a 99 and it was a Coupe with 190 hp and the 6-9 positions had 56D7. Then I found an 01 Convertible with 236 HP and the VIN had 53D3. I'm thinking that 53 means HPT. That 01 Convertible has the stereo, HPT and is triple black. Man that sounds nice. For some reason I don't even look at black cars unless the interior is also black or at least charcoal.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:15 PM
reg

Jim, Google "used volvo c70" and you will find a zillion sites with what you are looking for. And yes, I have seen a black coupe and it was outstanding! My wife drives a black auto and she does keep the auto wash in business and is sending the owners children to Yale with the number of washes. When clean, they look great..............with road salt..............they look crappy!
Reg

Old 03-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

The problem I am having is finding a 98. It's easy to find newer ones, but I really try and stay with 98. I find way more convertibles than coupes too. I found one I am in love with, but more than I can spend. It's an 01 Blue Covertible, blue top, med grey interior (not charcoal, but not off white either), a five speed with HPT. It's in Pontiac, MI which is 167 miles from here. I have never driven a 5 speed with the high pressure turbo.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: JimKW

The problem I am having is finding a 98. It's easy to find newer ones, but I really try and stay with 98. I find way more convertibles than coupes too. I found one I am in love with, but more than I can spend. It's an 01 Blue Covertible, blue top, med grey interior (not charcoal, but not off white either), a five speed with HPT. It's in Pontiac, MI which is 167 miles from here. I have never driven a 5 speed with the high pressure turbo.
They are FUN!!!!

Old 03-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

I went and test drove the light red one here in in Columbus. Neither of the power windows worked along with the power locks and power mirrors. And the sunroof rattled like crazy every time I hit a bump. I have to find somebody who can figure out what's wrong with my 850 R and get it fixed.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:51 PM
reg

If none of the 'stuff' works, then you can rest assured that who ever owned that c70 never ever took care of it and I'll bet the oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, and etc. was never ever serviced! Best to stay away from an abused Volvo! Pontiac is essentially Detroit (Oakland county) and so it too could be beat up. The problem with looking for an eight year old auto is that most of them will not have been serviced properly. Most people let an auto languish after four or five years and simply drive them for the 'basic' transportation.
Reg

ORIGINAL: JimKW

I went and test drove the light red one here in in Columbus. Neither of the power windows worked along with the power locks and power mirrors. And the sunroof rattled like crazy every time I hit a bump. I have to find somebody who can figure out what's wrong with my 850 R and get it fixed.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah you're right. From the perspective of looks though the car looked well taken care of. The finish looked very good and the interior was almost perfect. Did Volvo make more C70 convertibles than coupes? I would say 75% of the cars I find are convertibles.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:51 PM
reg

Yes, Volvo made many more convertibles than coupes and that is why the coupe is so attractive! There are not a lot of them, they are less prone to the 'convertible shake', and you do not have to worry about the top degrading! New Jersey has a ton of Volvos but N.J. is a considerable distance from Ohio!! Keep looking and I'll bet that you find what you are looking for. Lastly, the automatic (5 sp) is more prevalent than the manual transmission.............they are rare here in the states!
Reg

Old 03-19-2006, 12:52 PM
reg

One more thing Jim..........now that Volvo has extended the warrantee on the ETM to ten years/200,000 miles, it becomes a moot point as it pertains to staying away from a later model c70.
Reg

Old 03-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Did they fix that sunroof rattle in the newer models? That would bug the heck out of me. When I hit a bump is would make almost a clunking noise, and I could move the glass up and down when it was closed.

Quick Reply: C70 Conversation Thinking of Buying One