Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 Maf screw bit

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:48 PM
ICE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C70 Maf screw bit

Morning Gents, I am trying to replace the Maf on my C70 and i need a special screw bit to do it. It seems to be a torx 20 ish type bit but i cant fit the torx as it has a small piece of metal potruding from the central part not allowing me to turn it. Now this is some special piece which I dont have and its not in the stock tool kit. anyone have any ideas what its called so I can buy one ? Ive tried to get around it but I dont want to ruin the thread.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ICE
Morning Gents, I am trying to replace the Maf on my C70 and i need a special screw bit to do it. It seems to be a torx 20 ish type bit but i cant fit the torx as it has a small piece of metal potruding from the central part not allowing me to turn it. Now this is some special piece which I dont have and its not in the stock tool kit. anyone have any ideas what its called so I can buy one ? Ive tried to get around it but I dont want to ruin the thread.
IIRC it is a T25 tamper proof bit that you will need. Just go pick up a complete set of bits, they come in handy.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:03 AM
ICE

Originally Posted by mkc70
IIRC it is a T25 tamper proof bit that you will need. Just go pick up a complete set of bits, they come in handy.
cheers ears ill go to our local super cheap auto and have a look

Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ICE
cheers ears ill go to our local super cheap auto and have a look
yeah, it's called tamper proof or security torx. i have a brand new snap-on set that i have yet to use. i need to change my MAF sensor too so i'll get to put some burn on them

Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember Eater..............lefty, loosey.............righty, tighty.
Just trying to help
You know why..............

r.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM

I had to buy a set of these specifically for working on a Volvo.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by reg
Remember Eater..............lefty, loosey.............righty, tighty.
Just trying to help
You know why..............

r.

oh, is that why i keep breaking bolts??? damn!

so what do i do Reg when i have a bus with left-hand threads on the lug nuts????

Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 PM
reg

Well Eater...............that calls for a very special tool called a left handed wrench. Your Snap On dealer sells them by the dozen to old Marines...........
What do you say to getting rid of these Volvos and re-upping?? Nah........my uniform won't fit any more.

reg

Old 04-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

But everyone it forgetting one little detail. You area not supposed to change the insert on the MAF for just the little sensor. You are supposed to replace the entire plastic assembly. The sensor is calibrated for the housing.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by tech
But everyone it forgetting one little detail. You area not supposed to change the insert on the MAF for just the little sensor. You are supposed to replace the entire plastic assembly. The sensor is calibrated for the housing.
We are all just answering the question on the bits he needs for the screws. All the technical details are left for you to answer.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mkc70
We are all just answering the question on the bits he needs for the screws. All the technical details are left for you to answer.
LOL I just thought I would throw that in as well.

I guess it is not as well know as I thought it was.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:15 AM
ICE

Oh ? only the sensor came with mine. I just unscrewed and re-inserted the new one within 2 minutes...... seemed to be working fine although next day my thermostat went, not that it would have anything to do with it.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Just keep an eye on it.
My old shop tried it that way about 30 times and only had it work good on one car.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:08 PM
ICE

Just keep an eye on it.
My old shop tried it that way about 30 times and only had it work good on one car.
I bought the MAF on ebay, should I ask for the housing to the specific unit ? or ask for a new one with the housing saying that they are designed to go together ?!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator

If it is running good now then see what happens. But from now on only get the entire assembly.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:56 AM
ICE

If it is running good now then see what happens. But from now on only get the entire assembly.

Noted. cool

Old 04-06-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by reg
Well Eater...............that calls for a very special tool called a left handed wrench. Your Snap On dealer sells them by the dozen to old Marines...........
What do you say to getting rid of these Volvos and re-upping?? Nah........my uniform won't fit any more.

reg

nah, my uniforms don't fit either, i can only get half of my arm in my blues. theres no way i can fit without destroying them, but hey destroying is what marines do

Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 AM
reg

Yessir.........I agree...........marines are destroyers and I know that first hand. But.....most of you guys didn't destroy with your socks on..............I mean a Marine generally came right out of plowing the fields to the recruiter station and didn't own socks or shoes.................
Now Army lieutenants on the other hand walked in to the recruiter wearing our Armani socks and our Berluti loafers...........

reg

Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 AM

Hi tech,
I've replaced mine recently to try and track down the cause of my P0237 code, but couldn't get the pipe off the MAF housing so ended up just swapping the sensor. Would this stop the P0237 being cleared?

Cheers,

Ste.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Possible but not 100% sure. Try swapping it back and installing the new assembly.
To get the pipe off use a long screwdriver or pipe between the pipe and air box and pop the hose off.

Quick Reply: C70 Maf screw bit