Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 sunroof shattered

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C70 sunroof shattered

Hello....first post

Please Help....having been a loyal volvo driver for many years and lusting after a c70 HPT coupe for about as long as they've been around I finally found a beautiful black 5 speed last week and the sunroof shattered four days after I bought it while driving at about 15mph on a secondary road. The 2900 dollar quote from my local dealer left me with palpitations and so I was wondering if anyone had a C70 sunroof for sale. Living in the cold northeast this is not an ideal situation....any thoughts???

Thanks
Drew

Old 01-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giffstone
Hello....first post

Please Help....having been a loyal volvo driver for many years and lusting after a c70 HPT coupe for about as long as they've been around I finally found a beautiful black 5 speed last week and the sunroof shattered four days after I bought it while driving at about 15mph on a secondary road. The 2900 dollar quote from my local dealer left me with palpitations and so I was wondering if anyone had a C70 sunroof for sale. Living in the cold northeast this is not an ideal situation....any thoughts???

Thanks
Drew
Another member just got one at a salvage yard for $125. Either go that route or find somebody doing a part out to get it for cheap. Seems like the bad weather has caused more than a few people to part out their coupes.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Default C70 Sunroof....

$2900.00 ouch. I was looking around when the last lister shattered his, and it seems like the glass was around $600 or so. I guess the dealer is talking about replacing the whole thing as a unit. Which I would guess would be in the $1800.00 range for parts. Wow!

I am amazed that the other lister was able to get a used unit so modestly ($125.00). I am guessing that salvage yard had no idea what the list on the sunroof was...

There is a guy on Swedespeed.com in Northern VA that is parting a C70, he may be able to help out.

I have a spare, but with recent developments regarding the sunroof's frailty, I think I better hang on to it.

Where are you located in the Northeast?

How cold was it when it shattered? Chilledman had his rear window shatter recently as well....hmmm?

Best of luck in your search, if you fail to locate one...drop me line and I may consider selling the one from my parts car.

Cheers,

Ted

Last edited by Inline5fan; 01-05-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:37 PM

+1 on the spare glass. Slowly adding spare pieces to my collection in the event I need a quick and cheap replacement.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Default the saga continues...

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies..... the dealer quoted the whole mech because the sunroof was open when it shattered and they are convinced that new glass can't be put in after moving the frame. Anyone have thoughts on that? Hoping for some second opinions on that but it's still open and covered carefully.....Otherwise the glass by itself is $795.00..... Inline5fan I am on Cape Cod and if you decide to part with yours let me know.....again...thanks and when I get this sorted I am looking for suggestions to make this car(bone stock) even greater....

Regards
Drew

Old 01-05-2010, 10:27 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies..... the dealer quoted the whole mech because the sunroof was open when it shattered and they are convinced that new glass can't be put in after moving the frame. Anyone have thoughts on that? Hoping for some second opinions on that but it's still open and covered carefully.....Otherwise the glass by itself is $795.00..... Inline5fan I am on Cape Cod and if you decide to part with yours let me know.....again...thanks and when I get this sorted I am looking for suggestions to make this car(bone stock) even greater....

Regards
Drew
We have focused on the cost so far, but do you not have insurance for the repair?

Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Default unfortunately.....

If you can believe this... I am an idiot and was only running liability on my previous car (Volvo 945 Turbo) and in MA you can only be inspected for comprehensive after being registered which is what I was on my way to do when this happened.....so.....no.....had it been the windshield I would have no problems but my insurance agent (who is actually pretty awesome) and has covered me in other strange incidents can't help me on this one....Fail lol. anyone know if the assembly (not glass) but the rest of the mech interchanges with the V/S 70 or 850 because it seems that would be a much cheaper option and then just stomach the glass purchase from the dealer and install myself?? I am very mechanically inclined and have installed a few sunroofs on other vehicles (Range Rovers are the other passion) so I'm a glutton for punishment......however I digress

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Drew

Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Default Sunroof shatter....

Regards
Drew
Let me know if you can't find one and we can talk more about mine. The only caveat (in addition to negotiating a price) would be that I am not going to try and ship it. If these sunroofs are shattering while mounted firmly in a car, I am not even going to tempt fate and place one in the hands of a UPS carrier.

They are far too valuable to have it get destoryed on it's way to New England.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 AM

I heard back from the dealer today.

They sent a field technician out to take a look at my sunroof. While they were unable to determine an exact cause for the Sunroof exploding they will be taking care of the repair.

It's interesting to note that they say they have not heard of this happening to any other S40's when your case happened as well and sounds identical to my experience. I mentioned to them they might want to contact Volvo Canada.

I am really curious as to how they can guarantee that this will not happen again. It's not a great feeling driving down the road anticipating the new explosion.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Default Need Glass!

My daughter's 1999 C70 sunroof shattered in a carwash and we are desperate for a replacement glass...does anyone have one for sale? Even dealership cannot find one at the moment.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:22 PM

Well, after much trouble, we have a sunroof in the car and for FREE, installed by the dealership. This sunroof shattering in the carwash thing is a known issue which Volvo will fix for free! The hard thing is finding the glass. The dealer found one, it was going to be shipped, and the shipper dropped it and broke it. Then I found one through eBay (had to contact someone with a motor for sale for this model and he happened to have a glass that was not up for bidding at the time). It arrived shattered by UPS! Then the dealer found two in NC, but the seller would not ship it but one state over! So I suggested that they have a local dealer in NC get it and ship it to NE. They put it in a box normally reserved for shipping hoods and it got here intact! This took TWO MONTHS from the time of breakage until we got the car back. You know you love your C70 when you go through all this to keep it on the road!

Old 10-25-2015, 05:50 PM

FYI... for anyone looking for the sunroof glass for their C70. If you use a pick n pull junkyard(Pick-n-Pull » Home), You can buy the glass for $45 out the door. I picked one up today for a friend of mine. Its not too difficult to remove. 2 screws,2 crescent rings on each side to remove.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:07 PM

You guys are starting to scare me....lol. Does anyone know if it's related to the metal bars that come unglued from the glass? Both C70s I've had the bars have fallen off. Maybe the rattling caused it to shatter??

Old 09-02-2022, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cactuslegs
You guys are starting to scare me....lol. Does anyone know if it's related to the metal bars that come unglued from the glass? Both C70s I've had the bars have fallen off. Maybe the rattling caused it to shatter??
Yes, I suspect the unglued bars are the cause. By the way, I would like to purchase a spare sunroof glass (I have two C70s) if anyone has one.