Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 T5 Modification/ Tuning ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow C70 T5 Modification/ Tuning ???

Hello guys Recently I have bought a 2001 Volvo C70 T5 (2.3) . I like the car but there are few things that I want to improve.
First thing the car is originally 236 hp but mine shows 225. How can I get these lost horsepowers back ?
And the second thing is I want to add a little bit on the car. After restorating it to its real power, maybe I can add like 10-15 more, I can improve gas reaction and shifting a bit, some suspension modifications and I also want a nice exhaust/engine sound. What would you be your recommendations ? I am a student so I have limited budget, I just wanna add some spice to the car without breaking its originality and causing any damage to the engine etc.
Looking forward for replies !! My car means a lot to me !!

Old 12-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Default Spend the cash elsewhere.

My suggestion is NOT to tune.
This is a 15 year old car. No sense tuning something that will die if you haven't taken care of basic maintenance.
When was the last time the transmission gear oil was changed?
When was the last time the PS fluid was replaced?
When was the last time the timing belt was replaced?
When was the last time brake fluid was changed?
When was the last time the air filter was changed?
When was the last time the spark plugs were changed?

If you can't answer these questions, then take care of them as you don't know how well or poorly the car has been treated by the previous owner(s).

Have you had someone check out the suspension and CV boots for wear and tear?

Once you've taken care of the above, and assure that your car will last, and be reliable you can consider some upgrades.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by david9999
My suggestion is NOT to tune.
This is a 15 year old car. No sense tuning something that will die if you haven't taken care of basic maintenance.
When was the last time the transmission gear oil was changed?
When was the last time the PS fluid was replaced?
When was the last time the timing belt was replaced?
When was the last time brake fluid was changed?
When was the last time the air filter was changed?
When was the last time the spark plugs were changed?

If you can't answer these questions, then take care of them as you don't know how well or poorly the car has been treated by the previous owner(s).

Have you had someone check out the suspension and CV boots for wear and tear?

Once you've taken care of the above, and assure that your car will last, and be reliable you can consider some upgrades.
First of all, before buying the car, the car has been checked both body shell and mechanically from A to Z.(auto computest,also it was tested on dyno) I am not an ignorant person who will buy a messed up ruined car )
The second thing is everything you have counted above and much more countless parts have been REPLACED just after a week I bought the car. I wrote this thread right after the car was running perfectly well after this big maintenance work.
Thank God I am not that unconscious as you tought

Old 12-16-2014, 06:57 PM

It appears you may have an ego bigger than you think. Good luck on getting more answers to your questions.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:34 AM

Looks like basic maintenance has been done.

I was going to suggest chip tuning, but I just noted that you have an LPG system.
Given that, you may look to what changes in exhaust or downpipe may influence your output.

Last edited by david9999; 12-17-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:47 AM

Unless you used the same dyno to obtain the 236 hp that you say it used to have, then you have no real idea that it now makes less hp than before. All dyno's and operators are not created equal. What you get on one may not be the same numbers that you might get on a different one. Even using the same dyno with a different operator may give you different results.

Also if you got that 236 hp from product literature, you could be looking at engine hp and not rear wheel hp.

Also it's a 13 year old car with, probably a lot of miles, adding more hp may only break parts that are a bit tired by now. Clutch immediately comes to mind.

Last edited by HoopyFrood; 01-19-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the answer to all the questions was YES they hve been done, then that was all that needed to be said in a forum! How about front ball joints and axles/bearings? Fuel filter? If all preventative/routine maintenance has been completed fantastic! There are a number of tuning options that you can do keeping in mind the mileage on parts already an approach might be at the lower vend of tuning, rather than the high end. Shift kit 1st if automatic. ECM repropraming 1st stage rather than 3rd stage. Good luck. And don't be so sensitive in a forum, save that for the bar room.