Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

c70 wandering front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c70 wandering front end vibration

I have a 2000 c70 convertible with a strange issue in the front end.
lets start with what's new
new steering rack
lower ball joint
here is my problem when I got the car had a couple problems with the front end found a bad lower ball joint leaky steering rack and bad steering shaft knuckle. replaced both of those items and had car aligned.
Now understand this issue started before these repairs where done. So I am now trying to figure out why I still have a very vague feel to the steering and a vibration under acceleration it also wanders and seems to flex. I have changed wheels balanced tires checked the front end inspected cv joints all seem in good order now the front struts are still original. I don't want to spend money on new struts if that's not going to solve the problem. getting frustrated anyone else have this problem. has anyone been threw this. It may be struts, axles sway bar bushings.

may also be body bushings ?????

Is this just the way these convertibles are? I had a 94 olds cutlass convertible that felt similar but not as bad.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:10 AM

"Is this just the way these convertibles are?" This was your question...right? Although I do not own a C70, I am familiar with its inherent scuttle shake:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...49530&p=245975

Volvo C70 2.4T Convertible full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear

There may be some aftermarket strut/chassis bracing available to help, but you will need to check into this.

Hope this helps you understand what is going on and sends you in the right direction.
Greg

Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 AM

Thanks for those links that does seem to be the problem seems if I set my tires to factory spec and possibly change the struts it might help a little. just seems to be the way these cars are though. never noticed it in my 300zx convertible. different type of car though.

Originally Posted by GMurphy
"Is this just the way these convertibles are?" This was your question...right? Although I do not own a C70, I am familiar with its inherent scuttle shake:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...49530&p=245975

Volvo C70 2.4T Convertible full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear

There may be some aftermarket strut/chassis bracing available to help, but you will need to check into this.

Hope this helps you understand what is going on and sends you in the right direction.
Greg

Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would find a good front end alignment shop, put it on a lift and inspect everything! Bearings bushings etc. Make sure all wheels are balanced and all tire pressures are correct. Thrust alignment may be required to ensure front end/rear end are square. JMHO.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by MSGTUSMC
I would find a good front end alignment shop, put it on a lift and inspect everything! Bearings bushings etc. Make sure all wheels are balanced and all tire pressures are correct. Thrust alignment may be required to ensure front end/rear end are square. JMHO.
aligned it myself after putting in the new rack and lower control arm using a state of the art alignment machine. wheel balance was part of the problem the rest is the nature of the car.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts