Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

driver lock and coolant light

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver lock and coolant light

I just purchased a 1999 C70 with 125,000 miles. The car appears to have been kept up very nicely over the years. I have two questions that I need assistance with. First, the key fob only works on the passenger side. The door lock goes up and down perfectly. It does not work on the driver's side. I have to open the door manually. I suspect work was done on the window or the door at one time.

Second, after driving around town the coolant light came on, then off, then on, then off. It has been off the last few days. The temperature gauge stayed at normal temperatures and the coolant is full. I suspect the coolant temperature sensor is on it's way out. Am I on the right track? If so, where is it located? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: driver lock and coolant light

1.Most likely the door latch assembly is bad or unplugged. If it is bad the entire window assembly has to come out to replace it.

2.Is the level ok? If so then the sensor in the bottom of the bottle might be going bad.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:33 AM

Tech, thanksfor the response! If the door latch is bad, this means the entire window including regulator has to come out? Ouch, I may be better off taking this in for service. I will have to check to see if it is unplugged and keep my fingers crossed.

I forgot to mention that the fan runs for about 5-10 min after the car is shut off. Is that normal or is the sensor contributing to this? Thanks again...

Old 06-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Yes the entire window and regulator assembly has to come out.

For the fan issue is it after short drives as well?
The coolant temp sensor or thermostat might be going bad.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM

Tech, thanks again....i checked the coolant level when the car was cold...instead of hot!!! the level was low..after filling it up...the light and the fan are working great!!!!

I do have some other questions..how do I know which engine is in the car? The manual talks of two different kinds. I don't know if it is an LT or HT engine.

I do believe the driver's door have issues. The courtesy lights do not illuminate when the door is open but works fine when the passenger door opens. Also, the gear shift light does not illuminate. All the fuses are fine.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator

I would say the drivers lock assembly is bad.
For the shifter light the bulb is most likely burned out.

For the engine there should be a sticker under the hood with the engine on it. It will be something like B5234t or something like that.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:24 PM

Tech, I appreciate all your answers. I found the engine number on the hood. Looks likea B5234T. How can I tell if it is the LT or HT engine?

I do hear something dangling in the door, so I am going to attempt to take the panel off and see if I can get my hands on the loose part and try to connect it.

Do you know how I can access the light bulb on the shifter? I don't know if I have to pry things out to get it or there is an easier way to access it.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Ok one more thing for the engine info what is the 6th and 7th digit in your vin?

To get to the shifter bulb is kind of a pain. You need to remove the rear seat bottom. Then the 2 screws in the back of the console. Then open up the armrest lid and in the bottom is a cover. Remove it and the screws. Then the console will lift out. Lift from the back first then slide back. You will have to be able to move the shifter through the gears as well to get it out.
Then you will be able to get to the bulb.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 PM

Tech, I cannot thank you enough. The 6th and 7th digits is 53. I think I have figured out it is the HT.

Well, my electrical problems continue. Now fuse 15 for the courtesy lights keep blowing out. When it does, the seat belt chime keeps ringing while driving. When i replace the fuse, it stops..but it is a death spiral since the fuse keeps blowing. I am tempted to pull fuse 36 to stop the ringing but I need to get to the source of the fuse blowing. I am wondering if the driver's door lock issue I have is the source of all this evil!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Is one of the sunvisiors broke?
My book isn't showing the number I think it might be the HP. But im not 100% sure.
I think there is a post on teh forum with all the numbers.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 PM

Tech, funny you mention the sunvisors. Yes, the driver side sunvisor vanity is broken. The left side is the broken side and light on that side of the vanity is out but the light on the right side works.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Administrator

That could be why the fuse keeps blowing. Look for wires touching or unplug it and see if the fuse stops blowing.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:33 PM

Tech, I took out the 2 10mm bolts holding the visor. I guess there were some issues before because the red wire was not threaded through the hole that is in the middle of the bolt holes. The wire look a bit beat up. How does it separate from the visor? I had a time trying to pry the wire loose. I wound up cutting the wire. Now I will see if the fuse blows or not.

BTW what is the deal with that big piece of styrofoam in the door panel? Does that come ut? I would hope so. It appears that is the only way to get access inside the panel.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Actually this is a coupe correct?
If so then it should plug in somewhere under the A-pillar(panel on the site of the windsheild)

That foam should be held in with 2 plastic clips. You are talking about the one on the door side?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:06 PM
JRL

You have a HIGH pressure, 53 is HP 55 is an LPT.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE WINDOW OR THE REGULATOR to replace the lock assy, just the door panel,
It's about an hour's job. Installing the lock assy. itselfisn't too bad, but the cable portion of the job is a PIA.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: JRL

You have a HIGH pressure, 53 is HP 55 is an LPT.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE WINDOW OR THE REGULATOR to replace the lock assy, just the door panel,
It's about an hour's job. Installing the lock assy. itselfisn't too bad, but the cable portion of the job is a PIA.
Post instructions with pics to prove that statement.
We all want to know how that can be done on a C70 without removing the regulator?
The cartridge blocks all access of getting it out and installing it.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:25 PM

Tech, thanks again...You ARE da man! The fuse is holding. Yes, the C70 is a coupe and I will keep the "A" pillar under consideration if I decide to change out the sun visor.

Yes, the foam is on the driver's door. For now I am going to tackle the shifter light. I too would be interested in an hour's work to change out the door lock assy rather that a whole day.....or two. Any pics or evidence from JRL would be much appreciated.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Tech, I had the driver's door panel off. Near the bottom of the door, I feel 2 plugs just dangling there. I have no idea where they go. I am actually thinking they need to be plugged into each other. I believe this is the source of my issue with the locks and the courtesy lights. The problem I have is the space is so small that I cannot get two hands in there to see if I can connect them (or if they should be connected). I don't feel anything else around the area where the plugs can go. Any ideas?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Anyway you can post a pic?
I have a vert at work waiting for a new window regulator to come in. I took the old one out today and the new one was broke.
The lock assembly has 2 plugs,Then you have a light plug. Thats about it for the back part of the door.
Maybe the light and one of the lock plugs are unplugged?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 PM

I don't think I would be able to take a pic of it because only one of the plugs come out far enough for me to barely see it. Not so much for the other one. I kept feeling around back there to see if any type of connection could be make but I didn't feel anything and room was limited. Any ideas on how I can get in there to see?

Quick Reply: driver lock and coolant light