Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Ghost in the machine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghost in the machine?

Hi everyone,..a newbie to the Volvo world and I'm driving an 01 C70 convertible. Had the car for about 4 months now and I must say she's a beaut! On that note though,..I noticed that after picking up my son from his grandmothers about 30 miles away and returning home,..I shut off the car to go in the house and let the dog in from the inside of the house before opening the garage door to pull the car in (as I always do). When I went back to the car to start it,...she didn't turn over. Weird I thought as I was only in the house for about 1 minute. As a test I tried to turn the headlights and they didn't come on although the parking lights did and the interior lights were OK. I waited about 20 minutes, tried again and she attempted a half spirited turn over but it failed again. After about an hour later she started right up and I pulled it in. Now I'm nervous about driving this thing tomorrow. I will say that I did notice that the headlights were in the on position when I tried to start it the first time...therefore wondering if I had the lights on all day while parked at my office,...however it drove great during my lunch hour at work and when I left the office to get my son.....so it couldn't have been the lights. The battery cables look snug and clean too. AFter pulling it in the garage, I shut off the car and tried the headlights again and they still do not come on but the parking lights do as do the interior lights. Any idea as to what is happening? Is my alternator about to go out?

Side question: Can the Volvo headlights turn on when the car is not running? Mine do not…….With Most cars you can…

UPDATE: Jumped in the car this morning,..it started right up and drove it to the office where I am now. I went back out started it up and it started again without a problem....weird.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Ghost in the machine?

Sorry about having a ghost in your C70. We all have one or two (or more) of them[8D].

Have a visit to the closest AutoZone and have the codes pulledwithan OBD-II scanner. Or, buy a service manual & a digital multimeter (a $20-$30 Sears Craftsman meter is all you need) and check for battery & alternator output IAW the manual to see if they are sound. If code(s) is set, be sure to let them give you the code # and the description that appears on the scanner.

Or, wait till Moderator Tech replies to you. Moderator Tech is our "Ghost Buster".

JPN

Old 09-13-2007, 10:40 AM

Thanks,..yeah it's strange...there are no trouble lights coming on. Still trying to figure out if it's normal that the headlights do not comeon when the car engine is off and the key is not in the ignition. Perhaps a smart feature by Volvo to ensure you don't leave the lights on? I don't know....I hope the moderator joins in....

thanks for your input

Todd

Old 09-13-2007, 12:48 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a 2001 Volvo c70 the head lights turn off (while in the 'on' position) when the ignition switch is turned off. This is true of most European autos. The same does not ring true with only the 'parking' lights on. This is because in Europe many autos are left on the street at night with the parking lights on. As a guess, I would look at the load on the starter. If this non start situation appears when the engine is hot that may be the issue. Hopefully TECH will respond to you.

r.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:34 PM

Thanks for that clarification...about the lights.

Man,..I hope it's not something outrageously expensive like the starter or Alternator....BUT Whatever it is,..I will address it. I will await for the tech to come in here too and give me their advice. I do like this car though. Only other issue I've ever experienced with it is the high pitch squeal that is just audible enough to hear for about 10 seconds upon shutting the car off after a drive.

Great car though and a great group here!!!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 04:01 PM
reg

I drive an 02 c70 and keep it because it is a fantastic auto. With that said the auto is probably the worst auto I have ever owned because of the number of repairs and the length of time it takes to repair! To be fair however I have never kept an auto this long. I doubt that you have a bad alternater if your lights, radio, and the sort are operable. Sometimes when the starter becomes hot the armature will swell and stick. My advice is to not let just 'any old repair shop' look at your Volvo. Their problems are sometimes difficult to diagnose and so you need a facility that is familiar with Volvos.

r

Old 09-14-2007, 09:26 AM

Reg,

Yeah,..I'm thinking it may end up being that kind of relationship with this car too. Man,..I mean whenI sit in that car and drive it,...it just feels so right. It's a beautiful machine (I have the dark blue with blue top and wood dash) and the Bose stereo is nice too. It just rides so smooth. This vehicle was my second choice as I was just moments away from going after my 1st choice....65 Mustang Fastback when the Volvo appeared on my radar. I thought about the safety factor with my wife and child and the Volvo had stellar reviews, so I grabbed it instead of the Mustang. My buds all laughed at me because they said the C70 in particular is a "woman's" car. When Idrove it to work,...they decided that it was not like any Volvo they had seen before and they liked it too. You scare me when you talk about the repairs,...but I'm already hooked,...so it's too late now.

Hasn't had a single issue yet except for this "no start" that just occured.

What amazes me though is the lack of repair books, publications, accessories etc. that are specific to the C70.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Another one converted to Volvo.

I now own three of them and my son has one and each of my daughters have one. They must me addictive. When I take guys to lunch at work in my 12 year old car, they can not believe how it looks, how it rides, how comfortable it is, how fast it is and it gets 25 mpg. And I'm the only one with a car big enough to haul five fairly big guys. I like the 850 best, but the C70 is a great looking car.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:12 PM

Well she died on me today (while I was driving) and the gauges all dropped and I waited for the tow truck after that. Wife came by and while I was cabled to her battery, it started right up....the minute the cables were unhooked,...she died. Battery is only 5 months old, so I'm guessing it's the alternator. I'll know tomorrow as the mechanic will be checking it out then.

td

Old 09-15-2007, 07:11 AM
reg

Good luck TD. Now don't take my pessimism to literally. These are fine autos..............they simply are not the same as a Ford that can run forever with little maintenance. By the way..........the Mustang probably had 67 pounds of bondo in it as those autos were rust buckets!! When first delivered to the dealers they actually bent at the cowl as they were driven on the car carriers. Ford had to make fast repairs to strengthen the chassis.............ASAP. I recall vividly the cars when they were in an accident. Not much chance of survival in a bad crash. I spent my first life in the claims end of the world and used to look at a ton of crushed autos.

r.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes it sounds like the Alternator is bad.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 AM

Hi,..yeah,..I'm now parting with around 700 bucks for a new alternator. My God,..if this is what is lying ahead,...I need to either sell this car (breaks my heart) or turn to drinking. I'm only 4 months into ownership. I do understand though that she is used and anything mechanical can break,...but now I foresee a time when the ragtop locks up or the windows get stuck....and it will make 700 bucks look like a walk in the park. It's a beautiful car, but man o man.

Fastbacks were that bad heh? WOW. I wasn't aware. I was aware of the rust issues,....but not the quality issues. What's left,....now my dreams are shattered. Maybe I'll just get a Honda and be like the millions of others and just blend in.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
reg

Never blend in............you will simply be a lemming! Yes, the c70 has issues but the ramifications of booze will far surpass the cost of ownership. However perhaps a flask in the trunk for emergencies may be of help. The secret of longivity for a Volvo is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. I cannot stress that enough. Change the trans fluid every couple of years along with the brake fluid annually. The coolant is not a life time fill and needs changing every couple of years also. You will find that unless you have a good independent shop who works on Volvos on a daily basis, you will be better served at the dealer. Check this forum for the transmission fluid issues....................it goes on ad nauseam. I have my opinion that I will be happy to share.
Lastly,,,,, dare to be different..............drive a Volvo
but have a back up.

r.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:35 PM

I just have to say how many people underestimate a Volvo's power, I let a friend drive my 01 t6 and he was shocked thathow well it was picking up and how easily it handled.... For such a heavy car, its not bad.... this is my second Volvo and I think Im hooked as well, Despite all the problems I had with both the volvo's i owned....

Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 AM

OK,..I'llend this topic as I have finally reached peace....the alternator has been replaced,...I have found the code to get the stereo working,..and the mechanic fixed his previous mistake of forgetting to plug in some connector to resume the A/C's ability to blow cold...(he was very apologetic about it and admitted it as soon as I pulled up and mentioned it.)

I'm back driving topless once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL TOO for great conversation and great suggestions and info!!! What a great group here!!!

Todd