Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

I dropped in my new HU

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dropped in my new HU

I had just installed my new HU a Kenwood Excelon x591. Im giving this unit an A++
Its one hell of an improvement over the stock HU sc816. The 4v preamps feed the factory amp plenty with good clean signal. The USB control kicks ****, Im using an 8gb Sony Micro Vault. Was going to use an external HDD but still researching it.

As far as the install goes, I used Metra pocket kit and the Metra wire harness. I was going to get the Quick Bricks HU to amp adapter but they dont seem to operating anymore. So, that left me with the cable from the UK which I read people complaining about the sound quality. Enter EBAY, someone posted a link to a fella selling and adapter, and since I didnt want to spend the time to make my own, which I still might do. I found this

EBAY aftermarket HU to factory AMP adapter

Incase that link doesnt work this is dude thats sells em

EBAY seller A+

No noise with this item, and if there was he explains how to cure that.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Default RE: I dropped in my new HU

Wow that's awesome. I was debating getting that HU myself since I find my SC-816 in adaquete. I want to do something similiar with this HU.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ctory+R-B.html

It's $160 on Ebay and I don't want a pocket for the unused din. Just a couple questions, that adapter allows you to use your factory 4x60 Amp with the new HU correct? Where did you get a harness from? Was there any cutting, splicing involved? I wanna make sure everythings left as it was for when I sell the car and return it to factory spec.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Angry Lobster

Wow that's awesome. I was debating getting that HU myself since I find my SC-816 in adaquete. I want to do something similiar with this HU.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ctory+R-B.html

It's $160 on Ebay and I don't want a pocket for the unused din. Just a couple questions, that adapter allows you to use your factory 4x60 Amp with the new HU correct? Where did you get a harness from? Was there any cutting, splicing involved? I wanna make sure everythings left as it was for when I sell the car and return it to factory spec.

In my post theres a link to the auction on Ebay, as far as splicing, its nothing really 2 wires on the harness get tapped to the power and the ground leads from the power harness to the HU, he supplies the taps. The wires are thin as it looks like its a cat 5 cable that houses the power and ground so what I did was I used a wire tie and tied it to the power and ground for some support. And the other end simply plugs into the DIN cable that leads to the amp. Easy and pie, mmmm pie.

This is the number for the Metra harness 70-9220. This is the one that connects to the 2 rectangle plugs for power and speaker *the speakers leads you wont use since you have the factory amp. I used some shrink tube to hold them together and out of the way.

So, if you going for the double din setup. All you need is the metra harness *I got mine from 6th ave and the aftermarket HU to factory amp adapter off Ebay. Unless Quickbricks is still around.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 PM

does it come with the prologic option? thats a big plus for me

Old 01-24-2008, 01:32 PM

nope its just to the factory amp in the trunk. The prologic is part of the factory HU or something like that.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 PM

so, at the very least i need to buy this harness in order to install any aftermarketHU?

where do the 3 bare wires at the bottom go?

my car should have the factory amp, but where isit located inthe trunk?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It is located behind the panel and pocket to the left.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

It is located behind the panel and pocket to the left.
that black box next to the antenna?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

All of the Amps I have ever seen looks like an after market amp except that it has a DIN cable going to it. The speaker wires are also setup different than aftermarket.