Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

I-pod question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I-pod question

I apologize if this is redundant and previously discussed but I couldn't find any info in searching the site.
I recently took delivery on a new 2008 C-70 Volvo. I have the upgraded sound system. In the owners manual it talks about using an I-Pod. In the center console arm rest there is a little pin plug that appears to be a place to plug in something. I think it is or an I-Pod but not sure just what it is for.

Based on the above, would anyone know if the plug in that I noticed would work for an I-Pod accessory or do I need to purchase something else from Volvo to make an I-pod work in my new C-70. Thank you.

Gary

Old 12-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Default RE: I-pod question

The plug in the console is for a Ipod they came from the factory on 07 and up models. It should plug and play.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:38 PM

it is my understanding that volvo has an accessory now for ipods that actually powers the device and lets you control the ipod through the radio. I was all set to purchase this with my new 2008 and the dealer i bought it from refused to sell it to me as they said they are having too many problems with them.

Has anyone bought this accessory and had it work?

thanks

Old 01-10-2008, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: carlc70wny

it is my understanding that volvo has an accessory now for ipods that actually powers the device and lets you control the ipod through the radio. I was all set to purchase this with my new 2008 and the dealer i bought it from refused to sell it to me as they said they are having too many problems with them.

Has anyone bought this accessory and had it work?

thanks

You are correct about the new accessory - from the pictures I've seen it connects to the iPod via the bottom edge connector normally used for USB connection to your computer. And as you said, supposedly this lets you use your radio controls to select music, and otherwise control the iPod from the radio controls. But I've never seen this in action.

The basic AUX jack can be used via a double-ended 1/8 inch mini-jack cable, plugged into the iPod's earbud jack. Actually, I haven't used my iPod in our C70 yet - we mostly listen to Sirius in that car. I would hope/assume that the Aux input has its volume controllable from the radio controls, as it is in my other car. It is not too inconvenient to use the actual iPod controls for music selection. I do this all the time in my other car.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the responses. I purchased a ZUNE MP-3 player and the cable to plug into the jack. Works like a charm! The only issue I have now is getting the MP-3 player to recharge. Went to Best-Buy and purchased a accessory that allows me to keep the ZUNE player fully charged while using it in the carthrough the 12 volt outlet. Don't particularly like all the wires for the charger dangling around even though the player is out of sight in the armrest. Wish Volvo had placed a 12 volt outlet in the armrest along with the plug-in for the player jack.