Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Interested in a C70

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in a C70

So I sold my 94 850 Turbo and now need a new Volvo. I would love to get an 850R but good ones are hard to find. I am also interested in the high output C70. Can anyone give me some insight on what to watch out for with C70's? I am going to start seeing whats out there so any precautions are much appreciated. I am pretty knowledgeable with the 850's but C70's are new to me.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Default C70 Checklist...

Originally Posted by ABVO850
So I sold my 94 850 Turbo and now need a new Volvo. I would love to get an 850R but good ones are hard to find. I am also interested in the high output C70. Can anyone give me some insight on what to watch out for with C70's? I am going to start seeing whats out there so any precautions are much appreciated. I am pretty knowledgeable with the 850's but C70's are new to me.
I have owned my 1998 C70 HPT - Manual Trans - Coupe for a few years now...and overall it has been a great car. I was lucky to find a very meticulously maintained example. That being said, since you have owned turbo charged Volvo's before, the mechanical bits are very comparable.

Things unique to the C70: Window regulators (expensive and challenging to repair or replace); Sunroof rattle (common); Broken micro switches in the front seats (seats are motorized); SC 900 / 901 Radio Cassette CD Changer (jammed CD players are common); Center Channel Pro Logic Dash Speaker - delightful in theory, but lead a hard life in the center of the dash and rarely work; Heater Cores (easy to change and will eventually fail); A/C evaporator (pain the a$$ to get to...some what invasive replacement); Lower control arms are different on the C70's; If you are looking at a convertible....then you can be on the look out for the common problems associated with a movable top. The rear back glass tends to eventually fall out of the top.

Other than that...it's a Volvo...Stage Zero maintenance is important.

If you are seriously considering purchasing a C70...I would think about parting with mine, so keep me in mind.

Good luck in your quest.

Ted
1998 C70 Coupe HPT - Manual Trans - Saffron Pearl

Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the advice Ted. I found my C70 . I drove four hours from MD to Philly to pic up a one owner, fully serviced since new at the same Volvo dealership 98' C70 HPT Silver Coupe 101k Auto Black leather, and I am VERY pleased. More photos will be posted shortly.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Default Congrats and Welcome to C70 Ownership...

Thanks for the advice Ted. I found my C70 . I drove four hours from MD to Philly to pic up a one owner, fully serviced since new at the same Volvo dealership 98' C70 HPT Silver Coupe 101k Auto Black leather, and I am VERY pleased. More photos will be posted shortly.
Best of luck with your new purchase. Anxious to see some pictures.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 03-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Default One suggestion...

Sounds like you got a nice one for sure. I would recommend, if you don't have a record of it, a transmission fluid flush and refilling. Fresh fluid in the automatics is pretty critical. So, just put that on your maintenance list, if you don't have a record of it being done. A service interval on the fluid would be every 60,000 miles or so.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 PM

So today I took on the task of figuring out why my driver seat has no power. I started with the fuses, which checked fine. I then tried the switch board which worked fine on the passenger seat when I switched it over. I then swapped the main boards where it all connects to and that worked fine.... So i am left with the three Bosch seat motors as my culprit for causing the seat not to move at all. Luckily it is stuck in a tolerable position for me to drive in. I called the dealership and the motors go for $370 a pop! So i will be going to the junk yard in the near future. I am concerned that the c70 seat differs from s70s and 850s because of the side bar mechanism which was not on my 850. Too bad it was not a simple fix.
I see that you were parting out your other c70. Was that a black leather interior?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat Movement

Does the seat move with the seat buttons? Does it move when you lift up on the lever on the side of the seat? The micro-switch that allows the seat to move for + aft is inside the pivot point of the seat, if it isn't working the seat won't move electrically. My passenger side did this. Cost me $1,000 for the dealer to replace. A problem with these seats. Just some info, don't know if it applies.

1998 C70 2.3 HPT Coupe Auto 37k miles

Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Default Parts C70....

So today I took on the task of figuring out why my driver seat has no power. I started with the fuses, which checked fine. I then tried the switch board which worked fine on the passenger seat when I switched it over. I then swapped the main boards where it all connects to and that worked fine.... So i am left with the three Bosch seat motors as my culprit for causing the seat not to move at all. Luckily it is stuck in a tolerable position for me to drive in. I called the dealership and the motors go for $370 a pop! So i will be going to the junk yard in the near future. I am concerned that the c70 seat differs from s70s and 850s because of the side bar mechanism which was not on my 850. Too bad it was not a simple fix.
I see that you were parting out your other c70. Was that a black leather interior?
The interior in the parts car was, in fact, charcoal (black). But I sold the front seats a while back to a lister over on Swedespeed for one of his projects. And yes, the seat motorized adjustments did work on them.

Sadly, I can't be of much help.

Let us know what you are able to figure out.

Cheers,

Ted H.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM

Hey did you get the C70 in the end?
I've got a 2010 2.0, been in love with it ever since I bought it

Last edited by agbonlahor; 04-26-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 PM

Sure did. Working out a few minor odds and ends like the seat power not working, couple interior lights out, and basic tuneup items but overall love it. Reminds me so much of my 850 Turbo but more refined.