General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Would anybody be interested in carbon fiber hoods for their 99-06 s80?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would anybody be interested in carbon fiber hoods for their 99-06 s80?

Ok, this is going to be a long post, but I need to ask anyone who is interested some questions:

I have decided, for better or worse, that I want to keep my s80. I don't care anymore that it's going to be expensive to modify and play around with. I like it too much to part with it. I want to get to the engine, but first...I need to address the weight problem my 99 s80 has. So right now, I am looking into the possibility or replacing the trunk and front end with carbon fiber components.

First off, there is a local company here in town where I live called fiber images. All they do pretty much is aftermarket carbon fiber body pieces and fiberglass, and custom body kits. They have been featured heavily in Eurotuner and other mainstream tuner magazines if anybody knows about them.

here is there website for more info on them: http://www.fiberimages.com/

Well, today I decide to go over there because come to find out they do custom work for customers who want parts like carbon fiber hoods, doors, trunks. etc. for their car but can't get them because there's no aftermarket to get them from. Talked to the owner to see how much it would cost and what it would take to have a custom one-off carbon fiber hood made for my volvo s80. Well, not surprisingly I found out if I were just to do it myself, it would cost me 3k alone to have a prototype made just for me and the molds to fabricate it. HOWEVER, that price INCLUDES the cost to make the molds to make more of them and the rights to make it.

The owner of fiberimages also GUARANTEES the molds to make the hood for 3 years under warranty by him. Therefore, the molds are guaranteed for 3 years to make an exact replica of the first unit without any issues.

There is also another option: If I find 10 people total with s80's who are interested in a carbon fiber hoods for their cars, he'll make up a group pruchase order. Then each hood would only cost 800 dollars, and I'd get to keep the molds to make my own. Also, dropshipping would be included in the purchase price.

I'd really like to do this and mabye start up a little side business & mabye help out the volvo community, but only if I find out if there is amarket/demand for these at all and if it justifies the costs to make them: But there's no way I can afford 3k for just one hood entirely out of my own pocket. I can only do it if it is done in the group order way. I am willing to fork out the 3k, however, if I think the demand for them is enough to cover over the setup costs. And also, I'd only be doing a limited run: mabye 50-100 of these hoods and I'd personally make them a special edition or something.

I already have a friend who has given me free access to a clean work area to make these if I go foreward.

So here are the questions I want to ask:

1.) If I were to get the molds and make these carbon fiber hoods and possibly other body parts, would you be interested in one for your s80? What would you consider a fair and competetive price if you were to purchase one right now? If I found the s80 hoods to be a success, would you be interested in purchasing other carbon fiber components for this car and possibly other volvo models (850, s60, s40, 750 etc)?

2.) Is there anybody who would like to jump in on the group order? Like I said, if I get 10 people who want one on their car, the cost goes significantly down for us to 800.00 U.S.D. and dropshipping is included in the pruchase price. And I still get to keep the molds for myself. I'm already in, so that's only 9 other serious people who's like a limited edition one off hood for their 99-2006 volvo s80. And I mean c'mon, you could have a cool prototype part for your car that nobody else has!

3.) If interested, would you want a hood that is an exact replica of the original or would you want a more aggressive looking one with scoops or more aggressive buldges? I am willing to work with anybody interested in a design that everyone would like. The reason why this is important is because if we want one that is other than stock, all the scops and such have to be integrated into the mold beforehand. They cannot be added on afterwards.
Please give me comments & input. I am considering doing this both for my car and as a little side business for myself.

Let me know!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Would anybody be interested in carbon fiber hoods for their 99-06 s80?

Good luck finding that many s80 owners that actually want something like this.

Well put it more this way. Good luck trying to find that many s80 owners that are willing to pay that price for a hood. I do believe s80 owners at least some would like CF hoods. But the whole issue of price is the big thing here.

1. They are going to want to know cost.

2. They are going to want to know how long it will take.

3. They are going to want to see the prototype before they even think of buying one.

4. They are going to want to know any and all info about the item being made.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Would anybody be interested in carbon fiber hoods for their 99-06 s80?

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Good luck finding that many s80 owners that actually want something like this.

Well put it more this way. Good luck trying to find that many s80 owners that are willing to pay that price for a hood. I do believe s80 owners at least some would like CF hoods. But the whole issue of price is the big thing here.

1. They are going to want to know cost.

2. They are going to want to know how long it will take.

3. They are going to want to see the prototype before they even think of buying one.

4. They are going to want to know any and all info about the item being made.
Well, it's the first 10 hoods that'd be 800 bucks.The price is still kinda open as well. He said once I got some people interested to come back to him with the info and mabye he could knock it down some more. But I can understand why he wants thatmuch out of them. He's only going to make 10 of those and then give me the rights to make them on my own, which is fair I think.Once I got the molds, I'd without a doubt sell them for a lot less than that...keep the price fair but within reach for most people. Most likely about how much a CF hood for a honda civic would cost. I'm going to keep the price competetive because it will be only me and a friend of mine who works with composites.

to answer the above questions, first I gotta round up 9 interested parties that hopefully somewhere out there in the world that want something like this. Then before we commit I can find out the turnaround time. And want to make a little side income for me while I'm going to school, but no point in spending all the money on materials and only making 3 and being out all the money in setup costs.

Fiber Images is well known for their carbon fiber components, they aren't some unknown shop. They've been at sema several years and have had lots of magazine coverage. They make high quality stuff. And if anybody wants more info, just call them with the contact info on the website.

But as I said above, I wanna do it but no point if nobody is enthusiastic about it as I am. I'm kinda at the mercy of others at the moment. I want a carbon fiber hood bad...but not 3k bad.

Like I said, if it's a success I'll branch out to mabye fenders and a trunklid. Mabye even do stuff for the other volvo models. But I wanna just stick with the hood first and see if it'll even fly off of the ground with anyone.

*If anybody posts on any other volvo forums, please copy and paste my first post for others to see. Want to get the word out on the net as much as possible.