Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Leather seat color effect on long term appearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather seat color effect on long term appearance

Hello to all from sunny and sometimes searingly hot Arizona. I would very much appreciate your observations of the durability and appearance of leather seats. Are the superficial scratches of clothing, grocery bags, cardboard boxes, etc. more apparent on dark or light colored leathers? After years of use and of course proper maintenance, which seat colors retain the best appearance? I assume that all seats begin with the same quality of leather regardless of color, but does color in anyway effect the strength of leather to resist scratching and tearing? Am I correct in believing that light colored seats are going to resist UV damage from sunlight better than dark colored seats? Thank you in advance for any answers or pertinent insights you can provide.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveinAZ
Hello to all from sunny and sometimes searingly hot Arizona. I would very much appreciate your observations of the durability and appearance of leather seats. Are the superficial scratches of clothing, grocery bags, cardboard boxes, etc. more apparent on dark or light colored leathers? After years of use and of course proper maintenance, which seat colors retain the best appearance? I assume that all seats begin with the same quality of leather regardless of color, but does color in anyway effect the strength of leather to resist scratching and tearing? Am I correct in believing that light colored seats are going to resist UV damage from sunlight better than dark colored seats? Thank you in advance for any answers or pertinent insights you can provide.
All the past cars I've owned durability was not so much color as to the quality of the material/dye. The Volvo materials I would rate on the lower scale of durability. This includes the materials used for the rest of the interior.