Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Looking to buy a C70

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a C70

Hi everyone,
I wanted to post this & throw it out there...
I'm looking to leave my BMW in the next few months & test drove the '08 C70 T5.
Liked it a lot. Great smooth ride, very good looking car too I thought.

The dealer tells me there is no difference between the '08 & ' 09 models.

I'm really wanting your advice & help, feedback, experiences you have had with your C70's.
Is there anything glaringly obvious that I should be wary of, take as an option when its bought?
Anything I dont need to take when I buy it - over the top & not needed type stuff?

Id really like your input with this....

Thanks so much

Old 10-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Default RE: Looking to buy a C70

I bought a 2007C70 a year ago. I bought black w/ivory seats and all options EXCEPT the upgraded stereo. My only regret is not going with the upgraded stereo. I have top down 90% of time from Mar-Nov (live in NC) and the expereince with top down would be enhanced with bigger stereo (the std is still pretty good). My vehicle has the 17 in. tires and I would recommend unless you want to replace tires more regularly. I got only 30k miles on first set as I had to replace due to uneven wear on rear tires (inside tread). I think this wear could be attributed to the HT in the trunk and change of weight distribution. I'm told taht the 18in lower profiles would give substantially less wear. I added to warranty (100k miles) with concern of problems with top. The 2006 had high frequency of problems and the 2007 was better. I did have a problem in the first month of ownership with the HT not completely latching and alarm coming on. I took to 3 different dealers who had no clue and it took a factory rep speciallizing in C70 to come up with solution-I felt like a guinea pig. I'm sure as the 08/09 models come out that these bugs have been worked out and the std 50k warranty should give you some comfort. My only current issue is that I have some yellowing of the ivory leather seats and I haven't approached the dealer with this issue but realize taht I probably have top down more often then most owners. With the high gas costs it is a nice bonus to be getting 30-31mpg (hwy). I purchased a windscreen and would not recommend it for the cost ($250-300) or the inconvenience of put up. It is a pain to try to put back in case. Only justify buying if you do mostly Hwy and it does improve slightly on backdraft and would make better to talk on cell phone (Jawbone Bluetooth is best noise canceling). As far as back row seats, only for kids....very tight for adults. Trunk is reasonable for travel. I really enjoy driving this car....with the top down.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: znguy

I bought a 2007C70 a year ago. I bought black w/ivory seats and all options EXCEPT the upgraded stereo. My only regret is not going with the upgraded stereo. I have top down 90% of time from Mar-Nov (live in NC) and the expereince with top down would be enhanced with bigger stereo (the std is still pretty good). My vehicle has the 17 in. tires and I would recommend unless you want to replace tires more regularly. I got only 30k miles on first set as I had to replace due to uneven wear on rear tires (inside tread). I think this wear could be attributed to the HT in the trunk and change of weight distribution. I'm told taht the 18in lower profiles would give substantially less wear. I added to warranty (100k miles) with concern of problems with top. The 2006 had high frequency of problems and the 2007 was better. I did have a problem in the first month of ownership with the HT not completely latching and alarm coming on. I took to 3 different dealers who had no clue and it took a factory rep speciallizing in C70 to come up with solution-I felt like a guinea pig. I'm sure as the 08/09 models come out that these bugs have been worked out and the std 50k warranty should give you some comfort. My only current issue is that I have some yellowing of the ivory leather seats and I haven't approached the dealer with this issue but realize taht I probably have top down more often then most owners. With the high gas costs it is a nice bonus to be getting 30-31mpg (hwy). I purchased a windscreen and would not recommend it for the cost ($250-300) or the inconvenience of put up. It is a pain to try to put back in case. Only justify buying if you do mostly Hwy and it does improve slightly on backdraft and would make better to talk on cell phone (Jawbone Bluetooth is best noise canceling). As far as back row seats, only for kids....very tight for adults. Trunk is reasonable for travel. I really enjoy driving this car....with the top down.

znguy - this really is very interesting to me - thanks loadas for taking the time to post it.
I understood that in the US the only model that was released was the T5 version. Here we are offered the LE too which is the same, except minus the turbo, and a few other goodies.
I want to look at the T5.
In Aus it seems to be offered with a mix of options that I think you might have to option when you buy it over there. It bundels with sports + luxury + winter options in the T5 over here...and Im assuming its already got the DynAudio that you mentioned?

The color you have chosen is outstanding! My color options were silver + black or black & ivory.

Tell me, is tyere any noticable squeaking or rattling when you drive with the roof up at all?
The dealers assure me it is totally rattle free - the 2008 model that is.
Im wondering if I should wait for the release of the 2009 model though - as you say the bugs are worked out.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:45 PM

I don't notice any rattling, if there is any it is very minor. I jsut remembered having a n
knocking noise in back when I would go over a bump or up my driveway. They ended up replacing my rear shocks and fixed problem. I think you will be fine with 08 and feel that warranty will also cover any issues. All my problems were in the first 2 months of ownership so the last 10-12 mos have been incident free.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:29 PM

ok, great.
Can I ask you these questions too....
-Although I have test driven the T5, it felt initially ok for leg room -I am 6' 1" do you think on a prolonged journey its going to get uncomfortable?

-How about the after sales service & support?

-Just how practice do you find the trunk space really? It looked pretty "minimal". I don't have children-just me + my girlfriend - so its only really got to be able to cope with grocery shops....maybe my golf bag occasionally.
How do you find storage in the trunk with the roof up?

-Do you have to treat the rubber seals at all with anything to make sure they dont dry out or start to stick? I know some manufacturers distribute something called "Krytox" that is supposed to soften the seals etc especially for folding hard tops.

-Also, does yours have folding mirrors? Do they auto fold in when you turn off the ignition, or is it something you need to program in?

Thanks so much for your advice so far

Old 10-05-2008, 09:18 PM

I did not buy my car from local dealer, I bought from Atlanta dealer as they would negotiate. I find my local dealer's service pretty good even though I did not buy from them. I have always had a large vehicle and I find the c70 very comfortable,(I am 6-2 and 220lbs). Many of my drives can be 8 hrs duration and I seats give good support.
Trunk space with top up is very good, I'm sure groceries trips not a problem. We use SUV for family car but I can put my large garment bag(w/wheels) and gym bag in trunk and put separater down to allow top to go in trunk. I would load car while the top is up and then you can put top down. There is a button in trunk that raises convertible top while it is trunk which makes it easier to access items. You can put golf clubs in trunk but you would have to put them in while top is up, then you could put top down. You would have to put top up in order to get them out of trunk. I am not aware of the seals you are mentioning, I don't think this is n issue in our climate. My c70 doesn't have folding mirrors.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:50 AM

Excellent - thanks so much for your help.