Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Looking to buy a (previous gen) c70 and need your advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a (previous gen) c70 and need your advice!

I recently test drove a 2000 Volvo C70 HPT and am interested in purchasing it, but I did notice some issues and I'd like o get some answers before I buy myself a money pit.

First thing I noticed was the suspension, which was almost non-existant. I'm well aware of the C70 having a sporty and stiff suspension, but this seemed to be more than just stiff suspension. When I hit a couple potholes, I heard a distinct sound of metal to metal, which I'm assuming was a result of the suspension system. Is this something that is common in C70s, or is there something actually wrong with this specific car?

- Thanks again!

Old 05-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Default RE: Looking to buy a (previous gen) c70 and need your advice!

I have owned a 2000 HPT for a year now. My first impression of the car was also that the ride was very stiff and it's even worse when your tires are near to being replaced. Operate the windows, again and again, they are slow but there should be no hesitation for them to close or unusual noises. Windows are a weak point for C70's and at + - $900.00 to fix, nothing to take lightly. As far as the metal to metal noise, best to have a through inspection of the car by a mech. before you buy. The only things I have had to fix that I feel were out of the ordinary maint. items were a seat motor and a window regulator. Overall I still love the car. The engine and tranny are excellent and riding with the top down is second to none. One thing to keep in mind about this type of car or any other BMW or Merc. etc. is that when they break down you better have your check book ready.

Good Luck.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coupe or convertible? If it's a couple check out the sunroof for rattling along with the power window regulators as mentioned above. I was ready to sell my R because of problems I am having with it and buy a C70 Coupe. Test drove one after reading problems with them on this board and it seemed to have every problem mentioned here. It also was not as fast as my R, but the stereo was the best I have ever heard direct from the factory. I decided to do whatever it takes to fix my 97 850 R. Personally I just think it's better car and I really like the looks of the 850 sedan.

Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Among the vehicles currently in my drive way is both a BMW and a Volvo c70.............it's a 02. You cannot compare either auto to the other as they are worlds apart. The Volvo however is one of the nicest autos I have owned and I do plan on keeping it for several more years irrespective of the cost of repair...............and yes.........they are prone to issues but then again, not half as many as a s80! A word of caution...............do not let just anyone service that c70!! If you put the wrong trans fluid in, your trans is lunched! The whold auto is like that............DOT 4 brake fluid and not DOT 3 that most American and Japanese autos use. The list goes on and on. On the bright side, TECH of this forum can be a valuable asset to you. As to noises in the suspension.............you have problems! A Volvo rides like a Cadillac compared to the 'stiff' ride in a BMW. You should not hear anything. Look around, there are many c70's on the market with low mileage.............buy one of them.
R.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:41 AM

my experience with my C70 HPT is very stiff suspension, I have it lowered etc, but even before then, potholes, even smallish ones can make an awfully loud noise if you land in their sweet spot. I think I have worn a CV joint on the front because of hitting holes to hard.

I love driving my C70 around but on Sydney roads the pleasure too often turns to pain.