Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

New Volvo owner, Engine died 1st month, questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Volvo owner, Engine died 1st month, questions...

I apologize in advance if these questions are typical ROOKIE questions or have been asked before. 1st Day, 1st Post.

My wife and I bought this 2002 C70 a month ago with obviously, no problems. After a few weeks my wife told me that the radiator light was flickering on and off so I put coolant in and she kept driving. To wrap up this story the car eventually overheated due to a hole in the radiator and appears to have fried the head gasket.

My first response was to scrap the whole thing but then I remembered I'm not a millionaire. So when you can't scrap, FIX!

So now I'm off to change the headgasket. No service manual yet but I am looking for one online. Second, are there any tricks or gotcha's involved with the Volvo C70 as far as swapping headgaskets? I will probably change the timing belt and water pump while I am in there as well. (Blue Devil DIDN'T work as far as sealing the head gasket leak).

While it was running for the 50 mins needed for blue devil to work, It appears to have sprung a nasty oil leak as well. Does the volvo C70 have a "Too much oil in crankcase, gotta vent" mechanism?

Any and All legitimate advise will be much appreciated.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you remove the head you might want to take it to a qualified head shop to have it inspected for cracks or other damage. Proper maintenance on zero interference engines is really important! A complete compression check of all cylinders, leak down etc. is also recommended.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Where is the oil leak? No the car does not have any kind of oil bleed-off.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:17 PM

That's what I was afraid of... The Oil leak seems to be coming from the front seal and it is massive. There was however a large amount of water mixed in with the oil although not the milkshakey form I was expecting.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MSGTUSMC
When you remove the head you might want to take it to a qualified head shop to have it inspected for cracks or other damage. Proper maintenance on zero interference engines is really important! A complete compression check of all cylinders, leak down etc. is also recommended.
Semper Fi! I guess I'm not the only Marine with a Volvo (lol). As for the head removal, seeing as the oil leak is also present, would it be better if I remove the entire engine to address both issues? Does the c70 engine remove from the bottom or the top? From being underneath it, it seems like it is a bottom dropping motor.