Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

PLEASE HELP!!!both my powerseats arent working in my 1999 c70

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP!!!both my powerseats arent working in my 1999 c70

im pretty good at fixing stuff but this problem has me stumped.both seats worked fine until one day i scooted the driver seat all the way up and it stopped working.no functions would work.so i replaced the entire seat track with motors and computer and tested it before i bolted it in and it worked fine,scooted it up and put the back bolts in and went to scoot it back and nothing again!!!and now both sides wont work.ive changed the switches and checked it with a meter and it has power.im 6'6" driving with the seat scooted all the way up so im hating life right now,aprichiate any help. thanx,johnny

Old 06-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Default RE: PLEASE HELP!!!both my powerseats arent working in my 1999 c70

i had similar problem when i pushed seat all the way forward using the latch on the seat back.tech can probably give you more detailed fix. but what happens with lever their is a spring a plastic part that contacts a microswitch on the inside of the seat below the seat back lever. the plastic part is broken ,so it is not contacting the microswitch as a result no power to the motors. i understand volvo has a service letter that gives you a certain measurement to install a screw on the outside of seat trim below lever,this screw contacts microswitch and allows motors to operate. emergency fix to get seat moving,use lever pull seatback forward, find microswitch lever on interior of seat just below lever,actuate microswitch and use power seat switches on side of seat to move seat.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 AM

If you still have problem, contact me @ fernbeja@yahoo.com. Have fix that worked for me.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:29 AM

Fern70:

Is it posibble to share this information with the board?

I had a similar problem with my driver's seat.

With Tech's help it was diagnosed to the lower outboard seat back microswitch, which I simply locked in the closed (on) position using black tape.

Tnis one sounds a bit different as both seats are involved.

Since this topic comes up a lot, any help or ideas may help lots of folks now or in the future.

I am just thankful to have posted the problem here as I was about to start taking the seats apart and try swapping the "Brain". Tech saved me MANY HOURS of time and frustration.

Maybe your method will save someone from going down the wrong, long road to repairing a seat.

Thanks,
Ron Y
1999 C70 Ragtop

Old 03-23-2007, 07:36 PM

I know that this is an old post but I have had this problem and have taken it to the dealer 3 times. Each of these times has cost me $100.00 per visit. Apparently there is a wimpy spring that pops off and breaks the connection for the power seat to function. But one day I got pissed off and started messing with it. For all I know my springs are both broke and/or missing completely. If I ever lose control of my seat power all I do is one simple step.
*When standing outside the car, I reach to the outer bottom corner of the back of the seat.
You can stick your middle finger between the upholstery and feel for a spring loaded lever.
Pull up on this lever all the way, you should here a "click" when you get to the top.
Try your power seat. It should be fine.
I have had to do this about 3 or 4 times since I've owned the car and it works just fine when I flip up the lever. Keep in mind though that if you're going to use the normal lever on the outside of each seat to get to the back, just do it gently. That is why those springs break.
Good luck and happy Volvo-ing!