Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Requesting Assistance with Intermittent Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Requesting Assistance with Intermittent Crank No Start

Hey sorry is this is a bit all over the place ive got quite a few problems with my car and am not really sure what's realated and what isn't. But for why im here, so for a while my 1999 C70 turbo would not want to start and usually I would just have to try a few times and hold the key in the 3 position for about 5-10 sec and it would start, very roughly though and would stutter for a bit before it stabilizes. Also once it gets going it rarely ever has problems starting again atleast for the rest of the day and sometimes if it sits for a few hours it wont start but not always. But that probable has been happening more and more often to the point where I need to fix it before my car just doesn't start at all.

Some background on my car:
- The ETS light has been going on and off for a year mabe 2 but recently it comes on and goes out more and more and for shoshorter intervals
- The only engine code I have is a P0455 Evaportaive Emmision System Leak, I have tried extensively to solve this with no luck I traced the lines all around the evap canister no breaks that I can find and also checked the gas cap seal seems fine
- I went to check my spark plugs and fuel injectors and found some oil puddles around them not really sure where its leaking from but i did have my camshaft seal replaced a while back so either they didnt clean up to well or maybe its leaking from one of the scews in the engine or maybe oil cap?
- Leaking coolant somewhere but that is the least of my concerns honestly

Things I've done:
- Replaced fuel filter (the old one may have been the original it was in rough shape)
- Checked air filter (seems fine)
- Today when it didn't start I checked the pressure in the fuel line with the valve and got a good spurt of gas so I think my fuel pump in working (I've tried to listen for it priming but it's so damn hard to hear)

I've done most of what I can think of any help would very much be appreciated.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

Things to check:

1) fuel pressure at the rail - measure before cold start and during cranking. see the RobertDIY vid on how to. I believe your car would be similar to the 850s and early V70s where I'd expect about 40 PSI at the rail.
2) you can try jumpering the fuel pump relay to prime the rail and build pressure. next measure the current draw of the fuel pump (worn pumps start to draw more current which can pit the relay).
3) if the car loses fuel rail pressure overnight, check the fuel pressure regulator (damper). a quick test is to pull the vacuum line off - if fuel drips out, it has a torn diaphram and needs to be replaced. Another possible cause is a leaky injector. If you see a puff of smoke on start up or see a wet plug after a quick start attempt, you may have a leaky injector. A preemptive fix is to run a brand name 93 premium and dump a can of Techron injector cleaner with your next fill up. I also have a spare set of orange Bosch injectors I'm giving away, PM me if interested.
4) when was the last time the car had a full plug/wires/cap/rotor tune up? check the date codes on the wires. If over 5 years, time for a tune up.

As to the P0455, that's a large evap leak fault which can be caused by several things. big tear in a line, faulty leak detection pump, faulty charcoal cannister etc. I'd start by having a smoke test done to see if there's a big tear in a line which could be causing a lean start condition.