Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Transmission or Electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission or Electrical?

Hi, I bought my daughter a 2001 C70 and it drives perfect most of the time but every so often out of the blue it starts to do some weird shifting and hard shifting. Sometimes at low speeds sometimes at high speeds, sometimes it will go days without a glitch. Had trans rebuilt and it seemed to drive even smoother but it still does same thing. Trans shop said take it to dealer and have Computer reset, did that, same thing..Anyone have this same issue? Someone said maybe some winter sensor? Idon't want to start replacing every electric part uggh!..Oh yes and one more question, I have a dummy light on the dash which according to book is for a burnt out bulb..only light I can find burnt out is the light that illuminates the gear shifter (R D N etc)..could that be the one its referring to?? I cannot figure out how to fix that one any ideas?? Thanks

Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Transmission or Electrical?

Did the Dealer upgrade the software?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:41 PM

the dealer performed a tcm software upgrade per my invoice..

Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Administrator

HMMM ABS light on?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 PM

Well, I know that when I drove it alone a couple times some lights did come on while driving but would then go out a bit later. Since I was alone I did not worry about them as I felt it was safe enough for me to drive. One night whileI was givingmy daughtera lesson a light went on and we pulled over to read the manual andfound out it had to do with a bulb,since I did not want her to get a ticket I got out and checked all the exterior lightsbut theywere workingproperly, the only light we could find inop was the gear shift illumination light (if there is such a thing!) My daughter noticed it because she is not 100% sure of the shift pattern yet so she was wondering why she could not see the letters....I just went out andstarted the car and the service light is on and a I just called afriend of mine that I let drive it for a few days to prove I was not imagining the problem said that that service light has been on but did not recall the ABS light coming on. I will try to use the car tomorrow and see what it does..I've been hesitant to drive it for fear it will breakdown but I guesswe can all use a little excitement!!!Thanks for your help!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Yes the shift indicator should light up. Some of them are a pain to replace the bulb one because you have to pull the console out. Some of them the console goes under the rear seat. So the seat will have to come out then the console.

The Service light is just an oil change reminder light if you search a little on here there is a way to reset it your self.

Is the fluid level full?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 PM

All levels are full..I'll research that service light infoas we did an oil change but I'm not sure I'm going to be trying to do that light bulb thingy, that sounds like it falls out of the Mom parameters! She'll just have to memorize the order!!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Administrator

If you do not have the console that goes under the rear seat the console can be out in about 5 minutes.

Try reading this post and use the info to try to reset it. I stumbled across it.
https://volvoforums.com/m_3418/tm.htm

Hopefully the tranny straightens out soon.
Also another bit of info these tranny's really don't like to be rebuilt.

Are all the engine mounts good?