Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

What's your theory?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your theory?

Hi, new here, with a problem. 2004 C70 5 cyl lpt convertible with 24,000 miles. It's the wife's car; I maybe drive it once every three months or so. She's oblivious to potential mechanical issues. If she hears a strange noise she just puts the top down or turns the radio up and motors on. But each time I drive it, is seems that a particular problem is slowly getting worse. I'd call it a grinding noise that seems to come from the front end. At very low speeds you can actually feel a grating sensation through the accelerator pedal and steering wheel. The pitch increases/decreases with vehicle speed (not engine RPM). At 60-65 mph it's a fairly high pitched whine or roar, similar to the sounds you'd hear while sitting in the rear of a DC9-MD80 between the jet engines. As I negotiate sweeping turns at expressway speed, I can hear the whine begin to pulsate as the RPMs of the left and right side wheels begin to vary ever so slightly, just like when the rpms of two prop or jet airplane engines are out of synch. It does not seem to be brake or tire related (it's there without brakes applied and does not get better or worse with brakes applied; does not change when tires are rotated or air pressures are changed.) I'm wondering if I have some CV joints or axle shaft bearings that are bad. Anyone else experience anything like this? Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated before I try to explain this to the dealer's service personnel. Thanks!!

Old 04-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: What's your theory?

Front Wheel Bearing is bad.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:07 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start sitting in first class and you won't hear the whine in a DC-9. Besides, the Merlot seems to mellow all sounds.
R.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:57 AM

Thanks. I'll have them check it out.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:24 PM

Had the dealer check it out today. They say there is no mechanical fault (bearings are OK) but they say the tires are "severely cupped". They recommend replacing all four tires and doing a four wheel alignment. Methinks WTF, at 23K? These guys are better than Harley dealers at generating service revenue. The tires are Pirelli 225/45R17's and do not visually appear to have significant uneven wear. ????

Old 04-29-2006, 01:34 AM
Administrator

The Pirelli's really werent good tires on the Volvo's espically the C70. In a way you are lucky they lasted 23k
I have seen then wear out in 15k.
Rotate the front to the back and see if it changes.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:59 PM
reg

I replaced my tyres with Continental Conti's on my c70 and they are outstanding! In fact, I just replaced a set of Dunlop's on my wifes auto with Conti's.
r.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:00 PM

Over the weekend I did swap front and back again; result was not much change. In doing the rotation I did inspect the tires closely and can see and feel some uneven wear on all of them, more on the inside of the tire than on the outside. I guess all the evidence points to the fact that they'll have to go.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Keep us posted.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

I had a set of Pirelli P6's on my first Volvo back in 1985. One day I was driving and it felt like the front end was lose or something. I couldn't tell if it was real or my imagination. I would only feel it occasionally and it was worse sometimes than others. One day it felt like the front end was going to fall out of the car. I took it straight to the dealer and he said the tires were bad. The rubber was separating from the belts and there was only 20K on them and the tread looked great. He was right, I replaced them and the problem was solved.

Some time later my farther in law had the same problem with his 83 Volvo and I told him it was his tires. He didn't believe me because the tires looked good and it really felt like something way more serious than tires. Took it to the dealer and they told him the same thing. Replaced the damn Pirelli's and problem solved. I think he started paying attention to me a little more after that.

I never buy Pirellis, strictly Michelin for me.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:09 PM

Couple of things ot remember. Wheel alignment will not make the cupping go away on tires already cupped. The tires will have to be replaced or shaved (trued). Truckers used to do it all the time. It's not too expensive, but finding someone to do it can ba a problem.

If your dealer has a big fancy laser wheel alignment machine - run, don't walk away from the place. Call the local Porsche or MB dealership and ask where they take their cars for alignment. ...or find out who the Porsche Club president is in your area and ask him/her. For example there is a place here in San Diego that can do a 4-wheel alignment without the fancy machine in about 45 minutes, the cost is less than 1/2 of the dealer's and they are the best place in town. There is nothing wrong with a laser machine, but if the light is off by a 1/32" at the source, it may be off as much as 1/2" at the rear wheel axle, enough to make the tires wear incorrectly for you...again.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:15 PM
reg

My BMW/Porche/Merc/Audi dealer uses a "big fancy laser wheel alignment machine" and from my perspective............it's worth every penny that they charge me! In fact, as a curtesy, they aligned/balanced my Volvo c70. Incidently, the local PCA chapter uses and recommends the dealer. As to who in the area shaves tyres.........simply ask your auto crosser buddy as we all shave our tyres although after BF Goodrich started the TA-1s a bunch of years ago the other manufacturers jumped on the band wagon and sell shaved tyres right out of the box.
R.

ORIGINAL: JimJa43

Couple of things ot remember. Wheel alignment will not make the cupping go away on tires already cupped. The tires will have to be replaced or shaved (trued). Truckers used to do it all the time. It's not too expensive, but finding someone to do it can ba a problem.

If your dealer has a big fancy laser wheel alignment machine - run, don't walk away from the place. Call the local Porsche or MB dealership and ask where they take their cars for alignment. ...or find out who the Porsche Club president is in your area and ask him/her. For example there is a place here in San Diego that can do a 4-wheel alignment without the fancy machine in about 45 minutes, the cost is less than 1/2 of the dealer's and they are the best place in town. There is nothing wrong with a laser machine, but if the light is off by a 1/32" at the source, it may be off as much as 1/2" at the rear wheel axle, enough to make the tires wear incorrectly for you...again.