Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

White Smoke & Oil gushing from exhaust - Turbo failure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy White Smoke & Oil gushing from exhaust - Turbo failure?

White smoke from exhaust. Turbo failure? Sea foam treatment - oil gushing from exhaust pipe.

105k miles, 2002 C70 2.3T

After transporting this car from Michigan to California on car transport, this car arrived LA to my friends joy. His mother has been driving it for the past 10 years, with no problems and maintenance was done as per directions. After arriving on the car transport, my friend drove the car for no more than 100 miles while all of a sudden after 30 minutes on freeway, the car started blowing huge amounts of white smoke from the exhaust and the engine oil lamp turned on.

Volvo shop says that the turbo has to be replaced. Ok, fair enough - but a 2000 USD job.

Picking up the car from the shop he finds that there is no oil while checking the dip-stick.

We fill it up and tow it to a nearby Pep-boys to run a sea foam treatment as some members suggested.

It starts right away, white smoke from exhaust.

While idling 10 minutes with sea foam in engine oil the characteristics of smoke changes to slightly darker, less smoke and different smell.

Completed oil change and started car again, engine running fine - white smoke from exhaust.

After a few minutes idling - oil starts gushing out of the exhaust - but engine keeps running fine. Does this sound like a turbo failure??

In fear of causing damage to the engine (it starts and runs fine) we have not started the car again. Is it possible that oil was somehow displaced during transport, and after sea foam engine flush the engine is now pushing out the old oil from the exhaust? Would a turbo failure cause the oil to come out of the tail pipe?

If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like your turbo seals have gone bad.

Buy a used turbo.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe not the same problem but i just went through this. My car would pump out smoke, a wall of it and it was sometimes intermittent and then started to happen constantly. I was convinced it was the turbo, but ended up being valve seals. I had it repaired and now it is running fine. One thing my car did before I took it to the shop was it burned through a tank of gas in about 120km of driving,
Best of luck it is frustrating trying to figure out the source of smoke. Problem with my car I think is that it sat for long periods with the previous owner.