Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC60 Engine orange light repeatedly on and off

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine orange light repeatedly on and off

Hello everyone
I have a 2022 XC60 T6 recharge extended version and I already had taken this car to the dealerships 5 times for different reasons since it arrived on February this year. Getting tired of this really.

I drive mostly on electric on a daily basis to run my chores and just use the engine for occasional longer trips.

However on the few times I use the engine, around 4 or 5 times the orange engine light turned on and after some time randomly turns off.

I already took it to the dealership to check what could be causing this but they said nothing was wrong and they mentioned this is likely to be caused by software bugs and I should wait for the next Ota update.

Has anyone of you have experienced this orange engine light as well? Do you think is it really a software issue or could be something else?

Thank you

Old 11-25-2022, 12:21 PM

Same thing happening with my XC90 recharge. Car bought in March 2022 and we use majority on electric. On longer drives to family out of town, the check engine light comes on during highway drive. Then if went off 3 days later. During long drive again, check engine came on again and has been on for 3 days. My scheduled maintenance light is on and we have scheduled in 2 weeks so I wonder if that has something to do with it. The lady said at the dealer if the light starts blinking to immediately have it towed. I don’t have peace of mind knowing the light it on and I have a 5 hour drive back home with my family.

Old 11-29-2022, 10:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In January 2021 I bought an XC60 recharge. Six months later I had my light come on periodically. I took it into the dealer and they said that the fuel injectors trim setting which is a computer operated control of fuel had to be recalibrated. They said the reason for this recalibration was too much ethanol in the tank. They told me that I had over 20% ethanol which in my thought is impossible. I live in Iowa and 10% ethanol is our standard but there is 15% but it is limited and where I bought my fuel it was not sold ( COSTCO). They told me to use fuel without ethanol which is very hard to find and rather expensive. I think the fuel trim on the injectors was not correct from the factory and it just took a little while for it to show up. By the way they charged me for the service of draining the gas tank and resetting the trims for about $250.

Last edited by youout; 03-30-2023 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:25 AM
Default XC60 Recharge 2022 - Orange light is on

I too facing the same issue with my 2022 VOLVO XC60 Recharge Model. Ever since I got my first service done, it's just been problems all the way.

The check engine light keeps popping up on my vehicle. The dealership initially updated the software and told me it was a software issue. The second time, The dealership suspected a faulty heater and replaced it under warranty. When they changed the heater, they didn't fill the coolant to the desired level, and hence my car broke down on the highway due to engine overheating issues. I had to tow it back to the dealership over the weekend and picked it up yesterday. The check engine light is on this morning.

Just wanted to make sure if anyone else facing the same issues.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2023, 03:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sunrise_recharge
I too facing the same issue with my 2022 VOLVO XC60 Recharge Model. Ever since I got my first service done, it's just been problems all the way.

The check engine light keeps popping up on my vehicle. The dealership initially updated the software and told me it was a software issue. The second time, The dealership suspected a faulty heater and replaced it under warranty. When they changed the heater, they didn't fill the coolant to the desired level, and hence my car broke down on the highway due to engine overheating issues. I had to tow it back to the dealership over the weekend and picked it up yesterday. The check engine light is on this morning.

Just wanted to make sure if anyone else facing the same issues.

Thanks
First of all I'll tell you that I've gone through two heaters but I think I finally got one that's working. I was told by the dealership that Volvo found a bad part and they were short those parts for some time. Looks like it's now fixed like I said. I also had an engine light that would come on periodically and eventually it came on and stayed on. I took it into the dealership and they said that the fuel trim settings were incorrect and that was because there was too much ethanol in the gas tank. In Iowa here we have 10% ethanol in a separate pump for 15%. Is it possible that I got a mixed up maybe. Anyway they can drain the gas tank reset the fuel trims on the injectors and it's been good ever since. I'm very careful on where I buy my gas and generally I'm now buying gas with no ethanol that's 91 octane.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:32 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Yikes. If their negligence allowed the engine to overheat I really think you need to escalate this issue in some way because when that happens it can lead to other faults down the line (things like a failing head gasket, for example). These might not materialize until later - maybe after the warranty period. Ideally you'd have a record of this with Volvo and they would cover subsequent issues caused by the dealer's error. A Volvo mechanic could give you a better indication of what, if any, the true long term risks might be.