Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC60 sound from passenger rear wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 04:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sound from passenger rear wheel well

Have a situation that I brought to the dealer's attention and they can't quite figure it out. I have a 2021 XC 60 recharge that was delivered in January 2021. With the car sitting there it creates a popping ( like pushing air trough a small hole) sound that could be either an air leak or possibly electrical short. It does it on a pretty regular basis. The only way I can get it to stop is to unlock the car and leave the keys inside. When it goes to an automatic lock is when it generally makes the sound and then periodically after that. Finally after it's done it a few times it stops. if I go out to the car again it will start through the sequence.

Any thoughts so I could help educate the dealer

Last edited by youout; 01-11-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:34 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by youout
Have a situation that I brought to the dealer's attention and they can't quite figure it out. I have a 2021 XC 60 recharge that was delivered in January 2021. With the car sitting there it creates a popping ( like pushing air trough a small hole) sound that could be either an air leak or possibly electrical short. It does it on a pretty regular basis. The only way I can get it to stop is to unlock the car and leave the keys inside. When it goes to an automatic lock is when it generally makes the sound and then periodically after that. Finally after it's done it a few times it stops. if I go out to the car again it will start through the sequence.

Any thoughts so I could help educate the dealer
Yikes, same car as mine and thought it was bullet proof. Unless a tire, or maybe something with hydraulic shocks (if you have them), can't pretend to even guess what it could be. Please post when you have an answer.
Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:50 AM

Yes I plan to keep everybody posted on the development of the situation. What is interesting is that it started right after the dealership worked on the car to determine that the high-voltage heater device was defective and needed to be replaced. It seems like several others on this form have had the same issue.

What I'm now determining is that once it sits for several hours and I unlocked the doors that it then makes this puffing sound. Does not sound like electrical to me. I do have the air shocks and all the other features accept the high-end stereo. If i then go through a sequence of locking and unlocking it will NOT make the sound. After it sits for several hours and I open the door it does it again. Hope to post the sound here soon.

Haven't been driving it for a few days with hopes that the replacement part would come in but I don't have a lot of hope for that at this point. I have been driving my wife's car which is a Toyota Avalon which I always enjoy driving but compared to the Volvo it rides very rough.

Absolutely love the way the XC60 feels on the road for ride and comfort.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:13 PM

here is the sound that is coming from the XC60. I put a recorder on the garage floor near the passenger side rear tire. This is where the sound is coming from. I then take a few steps and put my hand on the passenger door. Car is locked and I did NOT have the keys. It still made the sound. I then open and close the door right after the sound is made and no popping sound. If it sits for a few hours and I go out and do the same thing it WILL make the sound again.

Could it be electrical as the door is reacting to my hand being on it?

Attached Files
File Type: wav
enhanced.wav (1.82 MB, 95 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 04:15 PM

here is the sound that is coming from the XC60. I put a recorder on the garage floor near the passenger side rear tire. This is where the sound is coming from. I then take a few steps and put my hand on the passenger door. Car is locked and I did NOT have the keys. It still made the sound. I then open and close the door right after the sound is made and no popping sound. If it sits for a few hours and I go out and do the same thing it WILL make the sound again.

Could it be electrical as the door is reacting to my hand being on it?
I listened twice, sorry but didn't hear it. I did hear you

Old 01-13-2022, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I listened twice, sorry but didn't hear it. I did hear you
here is an enhanced wave file. the sound occurs at 4-5 seconds from the start. it is like a clicking sound in this wave file

Attached Files
File Type: wav
enhanced 2.wav (1.82 MB, 63 views)
Old 01-13-2022, 09:52 AM

here is an enhanced wave file. the sound occurs at 4-5 seconds from the start. it is like a clicking sound in this wave file
I had a loaner with the adjustable hydraulic shocks while they were doing the PDI on my car, only experience I had with them. I'm guessing something puffing air in that system is what you're hearing but that's just a WAG. Maybe you need a tech lying under there when you do whatever makes the sound.
I'd keep driving it though until you learn something more definitive. The car is very good about giving you some type of warning message if a system is out of sorts.
Wishing you the best

Old 01-13-2022, 09:59 AM

yes have appointment to leave car next week so they can figure it out. Thanks for your thoughts. Love the car but have had several issues already besides this one.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:10 AM

Took the car in this week and left it with the dealership. They listened and did hear the sound. They left it outside for a while and then brought it in. They said the sound seemed a bit louder when it was outside. They then found another 2021 on their lot with the same air suspension and it made the same sound. It's a slight poof sound.

Conclusion is that it's normal and is part of the air suspension. When in colder temperatures it will make the sound more. I think I'm going to agree with that because I have a heated garage and the heater wasn't keeping up with our cold temperature so I turned it off in the last month. When heated garage has been running around 50 degrees and unheated 34 degrees. it has been cold here in Iowa. That's when I noticed the sound to be more frequent was when the garage wasn't heated.

I can't remember it happening last winter but I did keep my garage heated almost all of January to April. Took delivery in January 2021

Old 01-24-2022, 10:02 AM

Took the car in this week and left it with the dealership. They listened and did hear the sound. They left it outside for a while and then brought it in. They said the sound seemed a bit louder when it was outside. They then found another 2021 on their lot with the same air suspension and it made the same sound. It's a slight poof sound.

Conclusion is that it's normal and is part of the air suspension. When in colder temperatures it will make the sound more. I think I'm going to agree with that because I have a heated garage and the heater wasn't keeping up with our cold temperature so I turned it off in the last month. When heated garage has been running around 50 degrees and unheated 34 degrees. it has been cold here in Iowa. That's when I noticed the sound to be more frequent was when the garage wasn't heated.

I can't remember it happening last winter but I did keep my garage heated almost all of January to April. Took delivery in January 2021
I'm taking that as good news for you. I'm still learning the character traits of mine as well and so far, all is as one should expect. Loving my 'Watson II'.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My XC60 21 has just started making exactly the same noise and I was reading your thread whilst on hold to the Service/Tech department. I was trying to get an email address to allow me to send a recording of the noise to them.
By the time I got through, I had reached the end of your thread and realised that it was nothing serious and no need to book the car in. The cold weather is to blame which makes sense as the temp has dropped dramatically here in the UK.
This forum is great........thanks for keeping us updated.
Saved a trip to the local dealer