Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Mechanical noises coming from newly purchased S70

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical noises coming from newly purchased S70

Hello,

I am hearing some noises from my S70 and at this point I am not sure where it is coming from. I first noticed it today when my wife pulled into the drive. I hearing what sounded like a scuffing sound. So I drove the car tonight and the sounds I am hearing are somewhat odd. When the car is sitting still, there are no sounds except the sound of the engine running. I put the car in D and still no strange sounds. I go to take off and I begin hearing the sounds. It sounds almost like the brakes. The sound does not change when I press brake pedal. I let off the gas and the sound changes slightly. I press the gas pedal and I hear the sound progress slightly. I take the it out of D as I am driving down the road and put into N. I still hear the sound. The sound is evident until I come to a complete stop.

To me, what it sounds like I am hearing are either the brakes or something in the transmission. I thought maybe it was something external hitting the driveshaft. I thought maybe putting it in N would stop the driveshaft and this might change the sound that I hear. However, the sound does not change. I dont know what to make of it. I thought, well maybe it is a wheel bearing. But wheel bearings usually make different sounds when you turn the wheels back and forth and this did not happen.

The sounds is quite evident and concerning. Anyone know where to look?

Something else to add... It sounds almost like a car that has a speedometer cable that is loud when its really cold out. If you've ever heard that sound then you know what I am talking about. Otherwise, it just sounds like a rotating scuffing sound like a hanging caliper. But it sounds much louder and you hear it more in front and below.

I have added a video. It might be hard to determine what sounds you are hearing. There is a scuffing sound and at time a ticking sound.

Last edited by ziggy75; 10-02-2015 at 11:30 PM.