Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC40 TCAM Issues and Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCAM Issues and Update

Hi. After a complete failure of the TCAM last month, I’m advised by Volvo corporate that an update is coming. The TCAM is the shark-fin shaped communication module on the roof and when it fails, as mine did, all communications, navigation and connectivity are lost. My local service facility did a reboot and reloaded what they say is an updates software; however they have advised me not to do the 2.2 software update as it will cause the TCAM software to revert to the original and fail again. Volvo has confirmed that a TCAM software update, separate from the upcoming version 2.2, is pending. Anyone else having TCAM issues?

Old 07-27-2022, 06:25 PM
Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike and DeSha
Hi. After a complete failure of the TCAM last month, I’m advised by Volvo corporate that an update is coming. The TCAM is the shark-fin shaped communication module on the roof and when it fails, as mine did, all communications, navigation and connectivity are lost. My local service facility did a reboot and reloaded what they say is an updates software; however they have advised me not to do the 2.2 software update as it will cause the TCAM software to revert to the original and fail again. Volvo has confirmed that a TCAM software update, separate from the upcoming version 2.2, is pending. Anyone else having TCAM issues?
Regarding that module, I wonder what has changed to cause so many problems with the '22 models? My 2021 and earlier had their normal share of abnormalities as any 4 wheeled computer might expect to have but nothing like you guys are experiencing. We have the 'shark' fin antenna, and it hasn't been an issue at all. I've been assuming it had something to do with the Google process that had been the reliable Sensus software/hardware.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-27-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mike and DeSha
We lost connectivity over a month ago and are having the same issues as you, so probably the TCAM. We were hoping it would fix itself (as we have read on these forums that can happen), but that’s looking less likely.

We have an appointment with our local service facility in about a month, where it is fully expected that they will have to order a new part. Interesting to hear of this new update.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:01 AM

Seems like i have the same issue and my XC40 Recharge was dead in the water and couldn’t even be unlocked as it lost connection to the keys also.

Finally got it started and then took it to Volvo as you can’t lock/unlock the car and nothing else that communicates with the car works either.

We will see what they do to fix it and if this is a hardware or SW issue.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:29 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm monitoring this because of owning a 2022 XC60 T8 ER, which is well known to also have TCAM problems. I've not had any such problems in 2 months and 2000 miles of ownership, but I'm anxious about it possibly happening, given how so many 2022 Volvo owners (amongst all models with the Google OS) have experienced the dead 12-volt battery and presumed TCAM issues. I suspect that some major software changes are needed to keep the 12-volt battery from dying (as they had to do with the Taycan), and that the TCAM issue is more software than hardware problems.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:32 AM

Car is back and it seems it was all software related. Volvo think it was an over air update that lost connection or somehow became corrupted (I like out in the countryside).

They reloaded the OS and we have turned off the auto-updates to stop any further updates for the time being.

will see if this lasts and hope this helps.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:00 AM
Default it seems to have TCAm problems with XC40 full electric

in my case, the car lost gps signal and could not find wifi signals. It presented alerts from the SOS system, it did not recognize the keys and at this moment it is in the service facility awaiting replacement of the TCAM module. Hopefully this resolves the situation.

Old 10-08-2022, 05:14 PM
Default Latest software has not fixed the SOS key fob problem

Same problem today on my x60 recharge late 2022.
Serviced a week ago.
Had latest OTA 2.3 software update, didn’t get the issue until after the update.
Did have issues with app not syncing since service.
Removed fuse 39 and battery terminal for a few minutes, still not recognising both keys.
Placed keys in cup holder and was able to start once and then after turning off, it wouldn’t start again.
Going to service centre Monday to fix the priblem.