Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

'01 S40 2.0T Intermittent Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 S40 2.0T Intermittent Starting Issues

First off, I'd like to apologize if this question has been posted elsewhere. I have done a quick search of the forums but haven't found anything specific enough to my liking and I unfortunately don't have enough time on hand to do in depth research on my problem, so please don't shoot me for inadvertently double posting!

My S40 starts instantly first thing in the morning, every morning, hot out, cold out, wet out, whatever. I drive around, going about my business, and park the car somewhere to go about some more business. Two or three hours later I return, crank the engine, and it suddenly takes almost forever to start, sputtering a bit when it does.

What gives?

Thank you!!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm guessing either fuel pump or idle air control motor. You describe low fuel pressure like what happens when the fuel pressure regulator goes bad. But that normally causes every start to take an extended time. I would drive the car as you normally do but this time have a fuel pressure tester with you. Now before cranking the engine place the tester on the shrader valve and check the pressure both before cranking and during cranking. You will need a helper. Normally you should have residual fuel pressure. Never should the pressure drop to zero immediately after turning off the key. And once you turn the key to ON, you should get full pressure immediately.

If the fuel pressure is good then try the IAC. Try cracking the throttle just a tad bit while cranking. You are looking for the car to crank immediately as normal. Of course, let off the throttle immediately if it revs too high.