Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

'02 S40, laundry list....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heat generated in the enclosed space combined with age do take their toll on the harness. It's not unreasonable to expect to replace plugs, coil and harness after 10-15 years. The earlier coils with black plastic spark plug stems tend to crack more so than the later one with white plastic stems.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, and at least they had the sense to make it an individual harness, unlike other vehicles.
Finishing off the lower support/motor mounts, then the cross brace, then it can limp out of the shop so I can play with my toy.
It does fire up, but understandably gives 4 codes.....Coils and camshaft. Other than that, fixed a broken light connector up front, and a few other small jobs.

Martin

Old 12-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Default Trying to install camshaft position sensor

Trying to install a camshaft position sensor. Can someone help me with where it is, and how to get to it? Looks like it should be easy to install

Old 12-16-2015, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by xander2539
Trying to install a camshaft position sensor. Can someone help me with where it is, and how to get to it? Looks like it should be easy to install
Its on the right side of the motor as you look at it with the hood open.
There is the CAC pipe (aluminum tube) and an engine lifting eye.
Right behind that lifting eye, towards the windshield, you will see the back end of the exhaust camshaft. There is an aluminum cover over it with 2 10mm bolt heads that bolt it to the head. Undo those bolts and the cam sensor is in the housing.
You will have to undo the wiring harness that is connected to the motor mount, 14mm I think, and move it out of the way to access the lower bolt for the rear housing.

Martin

Old 12-16-2015, 06:19 PM

Thank you Martin. And this is where it is on a 02 S40?

Old 12-16-2015, 06:57 PM

Correct. That is the exact year I've been wrenching on lately. Got it for $750 a week or so ago, for my eldest kids girlfriend. Been working on it ever since.....lol
I can take a picture of the location if you want, but if you look at where I described, you will see the cover.
Martin

Old 12-16-2015, 07:24 PM

A picture would be awesome!
He part number I got is CSS1664 from advance auto.
xander2539@gmail.com is my actual email address if that makes it easier. Is it hard to install?

Old 12-16-2015, 08:53 PM

Dark here now, but will try to remember tomorrow mate.
Let me see if I can find the relevant piece on Alldata and post it for you.

Martin

Old 12-16-2015, 09:03 PM

From Hudini.
'02 S40, laundry list....-cam-sensor.jpg
The pipe on the upper right is the CAC pipe, that goes to the aluminum pipe that runs on the top of the motor, to the bottom of the turbo intercooler.

Last edited by Leftlanetruckin; 12-19-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:39 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That is my engine! Of course it was down from 8 bent exhaust valves because I'm lazy. Crap.

Name:  IMG_1210.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  128.1 KB

Old 12-19-2015, 07:26 AM

Edited my post to reflect the credits......lol

Martin

Old 12-19-2015, 01:56 PM

Curious as to what timing kit you ordered and from where? Looks like I may be in line for another on my s40 after 37k

Did you get one that included all the seals? How expensive is your project becoming?

TIA

Old 12-19-2015, 03:46 PM

Yes it included camshaft seals, but not the one for the back end of the intake cam, the plug one.
Serpentine belt, cam belt, tensioners, water pump and gasket, cam seals. The belt is a Continental, I made sure it was a name brand belt. This is the one IIRC
Fits Volvo C70 S40 S60 S70 V40 V50 XC70 XC90 Timing Belt Water Pump Kit | eBay

A summary of the work I did....
Repair the idiotic brake booster line
Soldered in some $1.39 bulbs into the HVAC control panel
Lubricated the ignition key with some graphite/silicone spray
Replaced with new parts:
Front upper strut mounts.
All brake pads
Front and rear motor mounts
Transmission mount
Timing belt kit inc water pump
All camshaft seals
VVT pulley and solenoid
Complete PCV system and manifold gasket
Surface the exhaust manifold due to leaks, new gaskets
Turbo oil return line gasket and o rings.
Serpentine belt
Ignition coils and leads and plugs
Oil and air filters, oil.
Hazard light switch
Wiring harness for the coils/VVT solenoid
And probably a few other odds and ends, along with @15 cans of break cleaner!
Including the $750 purchase price, will be right at $2k she owes me. This is of course not counting any labor, that's on me. My normal rate is @$40 an hour though, so it would not have been cost effective for a 200k mile '02 S40. I did buy a cam holding tool, but ended up making my own. I also bought a tensioner that it doesn't need, it's for a s60. So knock off $150 I guess.
Hope that answers your questions?

Martin

Old 12-19-2015, 06:45 PM

I found this one, it is for $69 and they sold 688 of them plus they also sell it for $59 and sold 79 at that price. The price is a little low that makes me skeptical BUT they have sold like 45k items and only have 123 negative reviews and out of the 123 negative reviews, only one is for a Volvo item (blower motor) and every review I read of the timing belt kit was positive.

Volvo C70 S40 S60 S70 S80 V40 V50 V70 XC70 XC90 Timing Belt Water Pump Kit New | eBay

That is like 750 timing belt jobs done on Volvos.

Does it seem odd that I am already ready for a new timing belt after only 37k.

Turbo o-ring and gasket were done at 99k and again @126k. I am debating whether or not I want to bite the bullet on timing belt. The former owner spent close to $3,000 dollars a year for the past 4 years.

Seems like I may end up pouring much more into this vehicle........??

How long did it take for timing belt and seals/water pump?

From my repair at 99K, it shows $149.38 for a water pump so I believe it was an original, guessing I may leave it in if it looks good.

What type of plugs did you put it?

Thanks for the info, looks like I may be better off investing in my Vibe, no real known issues, as much as I love this Volvo it seems like a nightmare or at least a serious headache!

Last edited by Random; 12-19-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:55 PM

Why are you due another one already then?
I'd go 60k miles if it was a name brand belt.
Either way, at $60 e very 37k miles......It isnt a lot in my book.
Same as the o ring and gasket on the turbo return pipe. Cheap.
I'm not saying owning one would be great news if you had to take it to a dealer, just the same as the Range Rovers we own. If you want cheap(er) dealer experiences, get a Ford, GM, etc. You bought a European vehicle for a reason, and I'm sure that wasn't because it was cheaper to own!
I got this one so my kids GF would be safe no mater what, and the build quality.
I put in run of the mill NGK's.
Martin

Old 12-19-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlanetruckin
Why are you due another one already then?
I'd go 60k miles if it was a name brand belt.
Either way, at $60 e very 37k miles......It isnt a lot in my book.
Same as the o ring and gasket on the turbo return pipe. Cheap.
I'm not saying owning one would be great news if you had to take it to a dealer, just the same as the Range Rovers we own. If you want cheap(er) dealer experiences, get a Ford, GM, etc. You bought a European vehicle for a reason, and I'm sure that wasn't because it was cheaper to own!
I got this one so my kids GF would be safe no mater what, and the build quality.
I put in run of the mill NGK's.

Martin
I put in NGK's as well GP, I took out Denso DP so I was wondering if the single platinum were a bad decision. Did not know it had DP in it.

As for the timing belt, I would not think it to be due for another so soon. I have only had the car for 7k miles As far as I can tell they did install quality parts and belt at 99k.

I definitely have an oil leak, when I had it aligned, was told I had a bad rack and pinion. No I do not, the turbo o-ring is holding up that was done at 126k but the one before was done at 99k,

Tracing the oil leak, it is all over the left side of engine, I have not removed the covers for spark plugs, am going to do that tomorrow as well as the timing belt cover but I did pull the cover back on left side of timing belt and noticed a slight bit of oil on top of belt minute but oil nonetheless.

Yeah I know the parts are cheap o-ring and seals, just questioning how often that they should have to be replaced.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:27 PM

As and when they leak, as far as the return pipe.
I just dont see not doing the timing belt, if you are taking it off. Purely preventative.
We run all Euro vehicles for a reason, they are built well and you get a lot of car for your money after the depreciation has hit it hard. Parts though, don't get cheaper as time goes on....

Martin

Old 12-19-2015, 07:52 PM

I just dont see not doing the timing belt, if you are taking it off. Purely preventative.

Martin

That goes without saying, gonna put on new serpentine belt as well. Just thinking it was premature.

What I was saying, possibly leaving in the water pump. I have seen water pumps for $20 bucks, I am sure the one in the $69 kit or the $88 dollar kit does not have a OEM quality water pump. Granted one will be included in the kit I purchase, just think if I have an OEM Volvo water pump with 37K it may be better than a new cheap aftermarket.

Car still runs sweet, no CEL yet

Last edited by Random; 12-19-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:53 PM

You may well be right regards the water pump, although the one in the kit was all metal and looked well made.

Martin

Old 12-19-2015, 10:57 PM

You may well be right regards the water pump, although the one in the kit was all metal and looked well made.

Martin
You kinda threw me for a left curve earlier but I see what happened, there was another thread where someone did not want to replace timing belt, believe me if it comes off it is not going back on or in for the most part.

Thanks for all your info!

Quick Reply: '02 S40, laundry list....