Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

05 V50 key stuck in ignition / no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 V50 key stuck in ignition / no start

Hello, I recently undertook the project of replacing my interior fan motor in my 2005 Volvo V50 2.4i. Upon getting the fan into place (A massive pain in the ***) I decided to test my work... this is where it gets interesting. I put the CEM / Interior fuse panel back into place and proceeded to put my key in the ignition. Not only would the car not turnover, but the key also would not come out of the ignition. I decided to plug in all other assemblies that had been removed in the process and tried again... no dice !!! A former Volvo tech had said it may have something to do with the FCU. I'm curious to know if anyone has had a similar experience with a V50 or S40?
Any bit of information is helpful, Thank you.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont know that model but when a key doesnt wanna come out usually means that the car is in gear.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:23 AM
Default Key stuck

I am having the same problem any suggestions on how to get it out?
Originally Posted by Bitch_Boy_Reed
Hello, I recently undertook the project of replacing my interior fan motor in my 2005 Volvo V50 2.4i. Upon getting the fan into place (A massive pain in the ***) I decided to test my work... this is where it gets interesting. I put the CEM / Interior fuse panel back into place and proceeded to put my key in the ignition. Not only would the car not turnover, but the key also would not come out of the ignition. I decided to plug in all other assemblies that had been removed in the process and tried again... no dice !!! A former Volvo tech had said it may have something to do with the FCU. I'm curious to know if anyone has had a similar experience with a V50 or S40?
Any bit of information is helpful, Thank you.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:44 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Atchison
I am having the same problem any suggestions on how to get it out?
Make sure your car is in park and (dont have to, but) you lock the steering wheel (rotate it a little bit until it clicks). Cant take it out unless its in park.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Sometimes the shifter release button can get stuck in and will cause the interlock to not release the key even when the shifter appears to be in park. row the shifter Park to Lo then see if the release button pops out with a bit of a manual assist. You may also try spraying some lube around the button or you may have a broken shifter button (some vids on this can be found on Youtube)

Old 05-04-2021, 08:32 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Well everyone assumes that its an automatic , then yes it must be in P , but for a manual try to reset by disconnecting battery for and hr or so ?
When I changed the ac filter (we have RHD vehicles) I removed the fuse box but had disconnected the battery first before putting all together., when I reconnected about 1.5 hr later all worked fine , just had to reset clock
Good luck

Old 11-08-2021, 05:15 PM
Default No, this is a VOLVO issue. It uses a 'fob'.

Originally Posted by GerBeGurGya
I dont know that model but when a key doesnt wanna come out usually means that the car is in gear.
No this is a volvo s40,v50 issue, it uses a 'fob'. And mine is stuck today after jump starting the v50, removed jumper cables, and meanwhile, engine died and key is stuck.

Old 11-09-2021, 01:33 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

It'll probably come out when you get a good battery in the car.

Old 11-09-2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
It'll probably come out when you get a good battery in the car.
Disconnected battery, it read 8.9 volts, charged it with the Focus engine on for half an hour. Took out the CEM. Its a bit of work, but easy with online videos. I didn't do all the fancy "contact cleaners" because the contacts looked great, but there was a small amount of bright green oily liquid along one surface. Don't know what that was, maybe antifreeze from the heater core???. There was moisture behind the CEM, leftover from the leaking sunroof no doubt. After jumping for half an hour, and reconnecting the CEM, it seems to run good now. Fallen headliner is new project. Thanks for being here guys.