Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2000 S40 battery drain, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S40 battery drain, won't start

There seem to be quite a number of threads on this subject, both on this forum and in others that turn up with a Google search. So far, none I've read (and I've read a LOT) get to the bottom of what seems to be a common issue.

So here goes my attempt (with the promise that I'll post back with the solution when it's eventually reached):

I've got a 2000 Volvo S14 1.9T w/auto trans, and Viper remote start/alarm system.

Like an idiot, I let it sit, parked, with the stereo on until the battery drained to the point that the car wouldn't turn over.

In a fit of nervous optimism (this occurred on the freeway, while waiting for an accident to clear up), I removed both battery terminals, reconnected them, and tried to start again. No dice.

A good Samaritan lent a jump. Engine started and ran, but car would not shift from Park. I pressed the shift-lock button and eventually got it into Drive, at which point it died again.

I got pushed off the road by the cops and into a parking lot. Cops gave a jump but the car wouldn't turn over, like the battery was really old and just wouldn't hold a charge--some electronic functions would work, and turning the key would just barely engage the starter; just enough to make it "click" repeatedly, but not enough to turn it over.

I took a cab to Auto Zone and back for a new battery, installed the battery, inserted key and turned one click, headlights and a/c fan came on, stereo, locks, all systems seemed "GO" ... until I placed foot on brake and tried to start car, at which point starter clicked once (not a turn-over) and headlights and fan dies, and all dash lights dimmed.

All fuses checked out OK. With key in start position relays under the dash and the hood clicked like they would when battery power is very low. With key in "on" position (one less than "start") and headlights in "on" position, a different relay under the dash would click, and headlights wouldn't shine. All warning lights illuminated in the dash with key in and/or at one click. When starting is attempted, everything dies out. No headlights at all.

Let's call this the "main problem". It persisted for half an hour.

Then, out of nowhere, after fidgeting with the positive battery terminal, the car started and ran fine, and I distinctly remember hearing the fuel pump engage (maybe for the first time, maybe I didn't realize it earlier). I drove home, parked in my driveway, shut the car off.

Not 10 seconds later I attempted to restart. Nothing. Main problem persisted. I removed the battery terminals, cleaned all with a wire brush. Removed and inspected the clicking relays (visually ... not sure that looking at them would help anything), double-checked all fuses. Replaced the new battery with the old one. Nothing helped.

By the symptoms, this really seems like not enough power is coming from the battery to the components. But since the battery was fully charged and terminals were cleaned, I'd think "relay". Then again, a lot of the searching I've done points to the immobilizer.

I have no friggin' idea.

Anyone?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

"Then, out of nowhere, after fidgeting with the positive battery terminal, the car started and ran fine,"

I'd guess you found your problem.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:52 PM

"Then, out of nowhere, after fidgeting with the positive battery terminal, the car started and ran fine,"

I'd guess you found your problem
No ... there's more to read after this excerpt.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 AM

I should not have been so cryptic. I'm guessing the problem was related to your movement of the positive cable. Since you did a thorough job of checking everything at the battery end I'd suggest looking at the other end at the starter. I'd also check continuity of the battery cables and power leads off the battery cable. I've seen a wire completely corroded through UNDER the insulation. You would not have known it by a visual inspection.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM

I was juuuust getting ready to post an update when I saw your latest comment, Hudini.

You took the words right out of my post. That was exactly the problem. Thanks for lending your experience!

Old 09-18-2013, 03:03 PM

My 2008 S40 needed a jump. No problem. Jumped via portable battery cable box. Started and was on my way. Hours later, dead battery. Thinking possible battery needed replacing. Ok, replaced but now nothing happens. Dash lights illuminate and appears all systems are a 'go'. NOT. Reading thru forum, found answer that anti-theft alarm and immobilzer needs deactivating. Completed process from answer found on Volvo forum but still same issue after removing the key blade and locking and unlocking door.
Dealership's answer, have car towed to them with both keys. Technicians do not know reason. Problem, nearest dealership is 120 miles from my location.
Can anyone offer other suggestions? Thank you

Old 09-18-2013, 06:11 PM

Ok, first impression is the ignition switch. Second is the gear shift not in park or neutral.

You said the dash lights illuminate. Now when you turn the key to start the car do the lights dim? Is there a clicking sound? Or is there only silence as nothing happens?

My guess is: dash lights dim or clicking sound then low voltage to the starter. With a new battery I'd suspect the battery cables or connections. The starter itself could be the issue if it makes a clicking sound even though it's getting good voltage to the starter solenoid.

No dash light dimming or clicking then first check the gear shift is in park. Then, while holding the key in the start position, move the gear shifter from park to neutral. You are trying to determine if the neutral safety switch is working.

Last is the ignition switch itself. On my 2005 I replaced the switch because sometimes it would start and other times nothing. After replacement you could immediately feel the difference when turning the key. Plus the car now started without fail.