Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2001 s40 fuel pump? These are the symptoms...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 s40 fuel pump? These are the symptoms...

I bought my 2001 s40 at a dealership in 2003. I have just over 112,000 miles on it and think the pump is going.

The car started losing power when I accelerated a few weeks back. Like if I try and punch the gas it hesitated. What I thought the problem was at first was that about 2 weeks before that I had my regular oil change and had them use the regular oil. I HAD been using full synthetic for months and months and about 10,000 miles. My husband got mad about spending that kinda money (he knows little about cars) so as I said I had Jiffy Lube put in regular instead. They warned me it was not good but I did it anyway.

Then the hesitation started about 2 weeks later if I went over 45 miles an hour. So first I went to a new place and had them take out the reg oil and put in all synthetic. AND used a cleaner for the oil system. SOME improvement but still lagged whenever I got on the freeway and tried going over 55. I bought some Lucas fuel system cleaner and put that in and when I went through the full tank it still lagged once in awhile. then I had a mechanic I know change the Fuel FILTER. It really seemed to get better and I went out on the freeway a couple of times with no problem.

I need to say I don't remember smelling any odor.

But it started again. I never have problems starting it but if I had been driving like over 30 minutes and pulled to a light or any kind of complete stop it stalls. Starts right up though.

Anyway the mechanic says he is certain it is the fuel pump.

Is it dumb to look for a used pump but make sure it has only a certain amount of miles from that car?

Or just buy new?

What is the typical cost for the pump and labor for this so I know I won't get ripped off?

thanks so much. I hope I get an answer cuz something needs to be done very soon AND I need to save as much money as possible.

Also my UP arrow has been coming on once in awhile but that has happened on then off for weeks for a long time.

I've had the CHECK ENGINE light come on and stays on but I thought that is some service reminder.
The SERVICE light appears once in awhile as well.

Look I am just trying to get this in decent shape to sell because I know there is more to come and I just want to get a less expensive car with what I sell this car for.

I just want to do the MINIMUM.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by cici42; 11-09-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:09 PM

Bumping this up. come on guys....I'm just a chick and know nothing about this. I need to get this car in better condition so I can sell it or so I'm not stranded somewhere!

Please help

Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the "Check Engine" light is on and also the trans indicator, the very first steps you need to take are to get those codes read and posted here! Most parts stores offer free code reading. The code would be a 5 didgit code similar to this..........

P0123

Get the codes and post those here for more help.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Wink

Update:

Got the fuel pump replaced but my mechanic guy took it for a test drive and still "missed" and even smelled the rotten eggs indicating that it NOW needs a CAT Converter!! Argh! I am trying to avoid more costs so I bought this stuff called Cataclean from the UK and now sold in US and followed directions. It is not an additive but is supposed to clean your CAT coverter (IF it is not too late and already damaged) O2 sensors plus fuel system . Poured in a 1/4 tank and drove for 30 minutes and filled up with premium. REALLY seemed to do the trick with performance. No misses even when I slowed way down and punched it.

That was for like 2 days. It started again after going up over 80mph. Smelled the "eggs" again at stop light.

Every step I have taken hear has improved it all somewhat. So I do feel all were needed anyway for a car with 112,000 miles. My ex husband had it for the first couple of years and did nothing but change the oil. No other maintenance and ignored those lights.

But I WILL go to a parts store and get the codes checked for sure.

The mechanic says if I replace converter and O2 sensors it should be fine. But I will follow your advice before I spend any more money!

Will check in....

Thanks for helping a lady out...

Old 11-09-2009, 02:51 PM

Ok did it at Autozone and lots of codes but very general. The guy said most likely converter and possibly sensor/s.

Here they are:
PO420
PO107
PO171

They gave me a huge print out but gave probable causes for all kinds of cars.

So with these codes and knowing I have:
Had oil system cleaned out and full synthetic put in
All things checked with that oil change that are standard
Used Lucas fuel system cleaner
Changed Fuel Filter
Replaced Fuel Pump

And still have CHECK ENGINE, SERVICE, And BIG ARROW pointing upwards.

As I said before the hesitation DOES improve slightly with everything I have done. Definitely have better power since pump was put in. but SINCE pump was put in the egg smell started.

I cannot afford a Volvo dealer and I am just using my mechanic friend to do the work.

I am hoping for the minimum....

Whadayathink?

CiCi