Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2001 Volvo S40 headlight help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Volvo S40 headlight help

so i was trying to adjust my headlights, and i did a pretty dumb thing, i unscrewed the bolt on the top left of the image, and now my headlight inside came lose, i dont know how to put it back together, any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Volvo S40 headlight help-fmenvpfhfd0zarf.large.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 03:22 AM

btw i got that image of the net. not my actual headlight.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've not done that yet but have broken things inside. If the part is no longer in alignment so that you can screw it back into place then you probably need to remove the housing at least. If you can rotate the housing such that the plastic falls into alignment then screw it back in? If that doesn't work then you can get to the inside plastic portion by removing the outer glass. I broke the plastic adjustment points a couple times over the years as they get rather brittle. I found that you can use a flat bladed screwdriver to pop off the metal clips that hold the glass to the plastic. Then gently pry the glass away from the gooey gasket material.

Removing the housing is not overly difficult. Loosen the screw holding the turn signal lens. Pull the lens straight forward (not up or sideways) Then remove the four 10mm nuts on the headlight housing. The housing is a bit tricky to remove but it will come out the front. The bumper cover will slightly interfere so push it out of the way gently as needed.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hudini
I've not done that yet but have broken things inside. If the part is no longer in alignment so that you can screw it back into place then you probably need to remove the housing at least. If you can rotate the housing such that the plastic falls into alignment then screw it back in? If that doesn't work then you can get to the inside plastic portion by removing the outer glass. I broke the plastic adjustment points a couple times over the years as they get rather brittle. I found that you can use a flat bladed screwdriver to pop off the metal clips that hold the glass to the plastic. Then gently pry the glass away from the gooey gasket material.

Removing the housing is not overly difficult. Loosen the screw holding the turn signal lens. Pull the lens straight forward (not up or sideways) Then remove the four 10mm nuts on the headlight housing. The housing is a bit tricky to remove but it will come out the front. The bumper cover will slightly interfere so push it out of the way gently as needed.
i might need to do that, because i see no way of screwing that back in, ill try it and report back!