2004.5 Volvo s40 Engine Issues - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo S40
Reload this Page >

2004.5 Volvo s40 Engine Issues

Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2004.5 Volvo s40 Engine Issues

Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Default 2004.5 Volvo s40 Engine Issues/Timing help advice

Last month my 2004.5 Volvo 2.4i s40 overheated and had to be towed home. Though the damage was done, I thought I could fix it. I replaced the thermostat, Lower Radiator hose, and replaced coolant. I started it up and it started blowing sweet smelling white smoke. Coolant. I knew the head was warped so much that it was allowing coolant from the coolant jacket to enter inside the combustion chamber. I removed the head and inspected the head gasket, which was fine. I proceeded to have my head resurfaced. While moving the head around, I made the poor mistake to not mark and number the valve shim buckets, and they were scrambled. Once I got the head back I asked the machine shop if they could do a valve bucket job for me, but they said it required special tools due to the limited access of the cam cover. I took the head and swapped buckets home, bought a manual, and attempted the job by myself. "Hold the camshaft down with your hand and measure the thickness." There's no way. I bought new gaskets, head bolts, and timing belt. I need to know how to do the valve bucket job, not by hand, what tools I need, as well as how to do the timing job. This is my first time timing an engine myself and I have a good idea but some direction would be much appreciated. I also need help finding the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley. Any advice or tips are welcome.

Last edited by tylerd; 02-13-2019 at 08:15 PM.