Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2004: Transmission and CD player questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004: Transmission and CD player questions

First off, the transmission. I'm 99% certain I already know what you're going to tell me, but I'm hoping someone can point me to some documentation online that I can use to plead my case. In December, I took my car to Midas to have the transmission flushed. At that point I'd only owned it about three weeks. I hadn't been experiencing any problems, but I figured at 75k it could probably use it.

Shortly after leaving Midas, I needed to get around a vehicle in a hurry. From a complete stop, I basically floored it. It shifted perfectly from first to second, but from second to third it had a slip? I guess that's what you'd call it. In the moment before it actually shifted, my engine suddenly raced and my tach redlined (literally, I think it hit 7-8000) and only then did it shift. Since then, it's happened a few more times, always when I was trying to rapidly accelerate. It's never been quite that extreme, but there is a noticeable and disproportionate increase in RPMs before it shifts from 2nd to 3rd.

I finally pulled out my receipt and it clearly states "synthetic blend" transmission fluid was used. I called a local Volvo dealer's service department and at those words she actually gasped...and then confirmed that it was a very bad idea to use anything other than full synthetic. Three other local service shops all said the same thing. The brand of the fluid is not stated, but the letters "VAL" appear, so I'm thinking it's probably Valvoline. Then, when I got home tonight and looked at my owner's manual, I saw that my capacity was 8 qts. Midas only billed me for 5, so there is no way in heck that they did a full flush. I just got a drain and fill, and I have to wonder if I even got a filter change...because the other places I called indicated that a special filter was required and all wanted a surcharge for it.

I called Midas and the manager assured me that the fluid they use is manufactured to Volvo's specs...but my performance says otherwise. My problem is that under normal conditions it accelerates and shifts just fine (if by fine you mean the way a normal, non-turbo vehicle performs). Only someone who drove it before and after would notice the degradation in performance.

Anyway. All that to ask...is there such a thing as a list of fluids in the marketplace that meet JWS-3309 specs? Do you know of any other type of documentation I can bring to prove my argument? Advice is greatly appreciated...I know I shouldn't have let it go on this long but I kept chalking the performance up to the cold weather. I just hope I haven't done any permanent damage...but if so I'll just make Midas make it right.

Second question: the CD player. I have the factory-installed HU-555 stereo, and the CD player skips like crazy. It seems like there is no skip protection whatsoever. The slightest bump can make it skip, and I actually have one CD that now has a skip in it even when I play it in other players. With the roads the way they are in my city, I basically can't even try to play a CD unless I'm on the highway. Is this normal? If so, is there anything that can be done short of replacing the receiver?

Edited to add: I almost forgot. My power seat seems to have a mind of its own. Every other time I get in to the car, I have to adjust the seat because it is leaned way back. The manual says nothing about the power seat having a memory, but nevertheless it sets itself. I might think my husband were doing it as a joke if it it weren't happening while I was at work...plus the fact that he knows better than to mess with my car.

Last edited by lalawhipper; 03-11-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:44 PM

Well, I finally got the guy at Midas to admit that their fluid didn't meet the specs. I went back and he added a friction modifier additive that is supposed to make up for what their fluid lacks...he said that if it isn't acting better after a few days to bring it back and they'd replace it with Mobil 3309. It actually is acting better...still not like I think it should, but a definite improvement.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:29 PM

My S40 CD player skips as well and my antenna is trashed, so I just listen to my IPOD all the time. Additionally, I would tell Midas that your tranny is acting up and insist that they replace your fluid with the Mobil 3309, on their dime. I paid $15 for AllDatadiy which allows me to get fluid spec, maint procedures and other things. It is well worth it.
Maybe you ought to set up a video camera to see what happens to your seat.