Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2005 S40 T5 LEAKING COOLANT -- My baby needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2005 S40 T5 LEAKING COOLANT -- My baby needs help!

The last 2 days i've noticed antifreeze puddles under my car wherever i park. at times they are small drips and when i fill the antifreeze to the correct level the drip turns into a steady stream under my car... the leak is coming from the DRIVER side FRONT of the car -- the leak is not coming directly from radiator - there is a hose that is connected to the radiator on the drivers side and the leak is a stream that is riding down that specific hose or from another one connected to it that connects more towards the engine ... I need help please!

Im trying to find out if anyone has had similar issues with this and if the fix is just replacing the hose or what other causes it may be...

Im having the hardest time finding a video or a step by step guide on how to get this repair done myself - as far as replacing hoses and how to remove components safely. Does anybody have any guides or resources that may be able to help me.

Thanks for reading!
-Louis

Old 10-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine leaked in a different area so no specific help with your leak. I will say the car is very straight forward as far as bolts go and how things are mounted. If you pull up on the headlight housing retainer you can remove the whole headlight housing and have more room to work. The entire front facia comes off in just a few minutes. It's really nothing more than going slow and taking off stuff that is in the way of where you need to be.

Last edited by Hudini; 10-12-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by louis052984
The last 2 days i've noticed antifreeze puddles under my car wherever i park. at times they are small drips and when i fill the antifreeze to the correct level the drip turns into a steady stream under my car... the leak is coming from the DRIVER side FRONT of the car -- the leak is not coming directly from radiator - there is a hose that is connected to the radiator on the drivers side and the leak is a stream that is riding down that specific hose or from another one connected to it that connects more towards the engine ... I need help please!

Im trying to find out if anyone has had similar issues with this and if the fix is just replacing the hose or what other causes it may be...

Im having the hardest time finding a video or a step by step guide on how to get this repair done myself - as far as replacing hoses and how to remove components safely. Does anybody have any guides or resources that may be able to help me.

Thanks for reading!
-Louis
There's no guide for this as it's not a specific procedure.

Your description is a little hard to understand but it sounds to me that if you remove the airbox you will have a much clearer view of what's going on and will find the source.

There is a bleeder screw towards the upper end of the lower radiator hose. I've never seen anything like this on any other vehicle, yet another Volvo designed-in failure point. If you're lucky the coolant will be leaking there and running down the hose, in which case tightening or siliconing the bleeder screw should fix the leak.

Last edited by migbro; 10-19-2015 at 08:08 PM.