Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2006 s40 gas flap,tps or map problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 s40 gas flap,tps or map problem

Hi. Last week when i tried to run my s40 the motor started like i am pressing the gas petal fully so i stopped the. Tried several times but it was like i am pressing the gas fully. Then i tried by just turn off and on again then it started stalling, low power also written “motor performance reduced” on screen. Tech said “throttle flap and tps should change.” To me it was looking like an electronic problem. I was suspicious about tps. I detached the thrortle body and tps took it to electronics shop and chrcked on multimeter. There was idle. Reconnected it and tried to see when throttle hose was off(did not start the motor, just turned the key half) tps and throttle works. Well i can not findout what is the problem and do not want to pay for new throttle while it looks working.
can you please inform where (the f*ck) is this map sensor. I can not find it and all volvos motors looks different than each others on videos. alsı i findout that there is a hose (radius 1,5-2cm) goes from the air filter housing to motor, its clips which connects it to air filter housing is broken. İ have tried by attaching it to there and started the car but still sane. May you help.

Old 10-11-2020, 03:25 PM
Received 109 Likes on 105 Posts

I don't think a MAP sensor is going to cause that kind of problem (apparent full-throttle operation with your foot off the gas pedal). And if I'm not mistaken, your car has a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor, and not a MAP sensor (and it's pretty obvious on the intake piping, IIRC).

I have to believe that the problem is the TPS or the throttle body. But it sounds like you have both back in the car and they're working OK now... does the throttle open fully when you do start the car?

Old 10-12-2020, 01:59 AM
Default Will update

Thanks for your interest. İ will make a more detailed video tomorrow. Actually i don’t remember if i pressed gas petal fully-fast while making this video. I will try by pressing slowly. Also will show probable maf sensor under the air filter housing. There is nothing between throttle and air filter but the big acordeonic hose.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:17 AM

What I'm asking is does the throttle body flap go to fully open (by itself) when you start the car? It seems to be following the command of the throttle with the engine off.

Here's a photo of the MAF, out of the car. Maybe your vehicle is configured differently than mine (though I'm two cars past my V50 now).

Old 10-15-2020, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
What I'm asking is does the throttle body flap go to fully open (by itself) when you start the car? It seems to be following the command of the throttle with the engine off.

Here's a photo of the MAF, out of the car. Maybe your vehicle is configured differently than mine (though I'm two cars past my V50 now).

yes flap follows commands. Here see it opens how much ever i press the gas petal:
https://vimeo.com/468420422

here see there is no map or maf sensor. The hose pop out is the one i show with finger in backside with orange ring.

https://vimeo.com/468421160

not sure if throttle flap follows commands when the motor started because ı can not see it as i did not start the motor when the throttle hose is off. İs it harmless to start the motor while throttle hose is popped out?

Last edited by Fatih Vanlıoğlu; 10-15-2020 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

are you trying to start the car with your foot on pedal or just that it feels as if you have your foot on the gas?

Did you scan for fault codes which would have set off the reduced engine performance warning code?

What drew you to a failed MAP sensor or is that just a guess or were your meaning to ask about the MAF? (the MAP sensor measures the air pressure in the intake path, the MAF measures the airflow to set up the mixture)

BTW, which engine do you have ie the 2.4i NA or a turbo? On the 2.4i, the map sensor is located on top to the side of the right most intake runner (follow the wire up on top).

Anyways, scan for codes then go from there.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:27 PM

It's OK to start the car without the "accordion hose" hooked up to the throttle body (I just don't recommend driving it around that way). It won't be 100% right because of the fact that the MAP/MAF sensors might be mis-reading, but you'll be able to find out if the throttle body flap is opening itself, or not (another video would be the easiest way to check this without a helper - that way you can shut down the engine if it does go to high RPMs when you start it).