Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2006 S40: regular or t5? Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 S40: regular or t5? Please Help!!!

Hi everyone! Never owned a Volvo, 1996 Honda Accord owner/lover for the past 7 years, but it's time to let her go.
Soooo, never really considered a Volvo but at Carmax today came across a 2006 s40 t5 w/only 30,000 for about $18,000. Then I looked on cars.com and found some "regular" Volvos (not t5) that were less costly. Soooo, I'm guessing t5 means more powerful or whatever. Does this sound like a good deal/is this a good car? Is t5 that much of a difference? worth the additional cost? I've always heard Volvos are safe, which is a plus, but I'm nervous about buying such an expensive car!!! Also, when I was 16 I had a 1986 SAAB turbo which was $$$$$$$$$$$ even for the simplest repairs. Are Volvos the same way? I'm in LOVE with this car as far as looks go (has the looks of a "sports car" but the convenience of a 4 door) and I really want something dependable/with a warranty. Sorry for rambling! And thanks in advance!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick with a Honda, sorry.

They are ok cars, T5 is the turbo which has a lot more power. Get a warranty.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by SVTfocusO3
Stick with a Honda, sorry.

They are ok cars, T5 is the turbo which has a lot more power. Get a warranty.
Really? How come? Just too much $$$ all around? I've always been "Honda Honda Honda" until I spent over $2,000 to replace the transmission in my Accord, which wasn't that unusual considering it was an older Accord. But then I had to spend $3,500 to replace the transmission in a 4 year old Accord! So now, I'm kind of trying to branch out!

Old 06-28-2010, 04:23 PM

I recently picked up a 2007 s40 t5 AWD and love it. It’s quick and handles well. If speed is not your thing then I would go with the 2.4I. I previously owned a 2001 Saab 93 before I picked up the Volvo and could not drive with out a turboed car. Parts will be expensive but worth it.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The price you got is ok but not great. In Jan '08 I bought my Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) '05 V50 T5 with 28K for $19K. The CPO is a much better way to go than Car Max. CPO gets you a 6 year / 100K mile warranty. They are usually returned lease vehicles that the Volvo dealers get first dibs on. If they don't want it then it goes to auction where places like Car Max buy it.

To T5 or not really depends on what you want the car to do. If you want performance and like to upgrade then the T5 is the way to go. Otherwise, the 2.4i provides very adequate power.

Honda or Volvo? Before I bought my previous Volvo ('02 S40) I had a '94 Acura Integra and loved it. I only traded it because I had a growing family. The "02 S40 as a bit of a let down after my ultra reliable Integra. I swore I'd never buy another Volvo. That was until Dec '07 when the S40 got rear ended on the DC beltway. Traffic stopped, I stopped, the person behind me didn't and hit me at highway speed. It was like an explosion. The WHIPS, crumple zones and high strength steel safety cage worked flawlessly and I walked away without even a back ache. The car, however, was totaled. It was so impressive that I knew I had to get another Volvo.

The '05+ S40/V50 is a completely different vehicle than the previous. Yes, my V50 has had a few issues but they were minor and Yes, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Just don't expect Honda reliability. Do expect better crash protection. I've seen Accords in similar crashes and it is not pretty.
Stan

Old 06-29-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by AutoNaut
The price you got is ok but not great. In Jan '08 I bought my Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) '05 V50 T5 with 28K for $19K. The CPO is a much better way to go than Car Max. CPO gets you a 6 year / 100K mile warranty. They are usually returned lease vehicles that the Volvo dealers get first dibs on. If they don't want it then it goes to auction where places like Car Max buy it.

To T5 or not really depends on what you want the car to do. If you want performance and like to upgrade then the T5 is the way to go. Otherwise, the 2.4i provides very adequate power.

Honda or Volvo? Before I bought my previous Volvo ('02 S40) I had a '94 Acura Integra and loved it. I only traded it because I had a growing family. The "02 S40 as a bit of a let down after my ultra reliable Integra. I swore I'd never buy another Volvo. That was until Dec '07 when the S40 got rear ended on the DC beltway. Traffic stopped, I stopped, the person behind me didn't and hit me at highway speed. It was like an explosion. The WHIPS, crumple zones and high strength steel safety cage worked flawlessly and I walked away without even a back ache. The car, however, was totaled. It was so impressive that I knew I had to get another Volvo.

The '05+ S40/V50 is a completely different vehicle than the previous. Yes, my V50 has had a few issues but they were minor and Yes, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Just don't expect Honda reliability. Do expect better crash protection. I've seen Accords in similar crashes and it is not pretty.
Stan
Wow, thanks for the informative info. Safety is the #1 reason I was interested in Volvo. My best friend was in a wreck recently and said she wants a big suv now. I however, hate suvs! So before her wreck I was thinking of getting a brand new Nissan Altima or a brand new Civic or something.
You said the newer than 05 Volvos are different...how so? In a good way or a bad way? Thanks so much!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Volvos are expensive to maintain and probably now, will not last as long.

They are safe, but other manufactures ratings seem to be right up there as well.

If you do buy it, this site is your #1 source for expertise !!!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:40 PM

I would say that they are improved in every way; ride comfort, performance, handling, reliability, creature comforts and just plain cool stuff.

The one area that the previous model had over the newer is in audio upgradability. You basically can't upgrade unless you go through great pains. If you are an audiophile, get one with the Premium Sound system. It is actually quite impressive. One note is that they didn't get an aux input or ipod input until mid-2007.

Stan

Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 PM

You're part of a Volvo forum and are telling people to buy a Honda?

Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by CaliKate
Not sure if the question was for me or for SVTfocus03 but I'll give my take.

The one Honda product that I owned was a '94 Acura Integra. It was rock solid reliable, never spend a day in the shop for a repair. I am now on my 3rd Volvo. None have stood up to the Integra's reliability.

However, I have seen a few Civics in rear collisions similar to the accident with my S40. I shutter to think if someone was in the rear seat. The roof folded and the rear seat compromised. Sure the Civic has good crash test ratings (for front and side impact) but a difference with the European cars is that there are rear collision standards in Europe. Sure Honda and others have head rests to help prevent whiplash but it does not work nearly as well as Volvo's. Volvo and Jaguar have the best whiplash protection systems according to the European testing a few years ago. I can attest to the Volvo system.

I have a wife and 4 children. I can endure a few annoying problems and have a safer car.
Stan

Old 07-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by CaliKate

They dont make em like that 240 you had.

thanks Ford.

Last edited by SVTfocusO3; 07-05-2010 at 11:29 AM.