Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2007 S40, Headlights stuck "on".

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 S40, Headlights stuck "on".

Hello friends, I have been having more fun that humans should be allowed with this car. Now, a new problem just showed up. The headlights are stuck on. If the car is running, the lights are on. Headlights, tail lights, side markers, dash, the whole enchalada. If I turn the light switch to parking lights, all the above are on except the low and high beams, just like it should and if I turn it straight up to lights on, it does that just fine also. When on automatic, it acts just like they are turned on. I live in AZ so it is plenty bright out at noon, the lights should be off. The high beams are working correctly (as flasher only when on othomatic, and as high beams when light are "tuned on". I can't even find a fuse for the headlights in the fuze box for some reason, but not sure I could do anything that would help as the issue is that they are stuck on, not off. Anyway, I did try HIDs in this car, burned out the windshield wiper motor and had to replace that, wondering if I fried something else at the same time. It seems like the light sensor that turns the lights on when it starts getting dark may be fried. Is that the red sensor on the dash near the very front of the window. How would I test it? Any help would be appreciated. I am going to have to do the work myself, I can't afford anything more on this car. Forgot to add that when I turn the car off, all the lights go off as expected. It's just lame that during the day I have all the lights on when driving.

Last edited by wlsorensen; 04-22-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 AM

Sounds like you have the DRL or Daytime Running Lights activated wlsorensen. On my 01 S40 they can be easily turned on or off.
Turn the headlight switch to the first click position.
Turn the ignition key to position II or second click.
Pull the turn signal lever toward you and hold it whild turning the headlight switch to position OFF.
I did this procedure and worked great. Had to do some testing with key on but did not want headlights on to drain the battery even further.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds to me that you have a light sensor gone bad. Call a dealer and ask the service rep if that is something that happens.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
Sounds to me that you have a light sensor gone bad. Call a dealer and ask the service rep if that is something that happens.
Wrong again
They are operating normally. When the switch is on or off, the lights are on. The only way to change it is with VIDA and I'm not even sure it can be done on the P1s.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 AM

Thanks ES6T...can you confirm that all the lights should be on, not just the low beams? My tail lights, dash lights, markers, everything is on. Seems weird to me that they have all the lights on and not just DRL, or reduced voltage low beams. According to the manual, it states that if the light switch is on position 1 (the 0), or postion #3, (headlights) the lights will be on. The only time the lowbeams are off is when the switch is set to parking lights. These Swedes have some strange ideas. I think the dealership is sick of me calling them and asking questions....... Looks to me like the red sensor on the dash only controls the day/night function of the radio/fan/data LCD display (green background during the day and black during the night to protect eye strain). I tested it with a flashlight tonight. When I shine it on the sensor, it switches back and forth. Don't think that is tied to the headlight function from what I can tell. I can't see any other sensors on the dash or windshield.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, the taillights, etc are on at all times.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:00 PM

Called the dealership today to verify....and correct you are. Lights on position #1 or #3 are low beams and all lights/dash as you explained, there is absoulutely nothing wrong with the car. Claims it is part of Volvo's dedication to safety. I can live with it (like I have a choice!!)