Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2008 s40 - Power draw?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 s40 - Power draw?

I have a 2.4i 2008 s40 that I have had for a little under 2 years. It's riding just below 90k miles and has had it's alternator replaced twice, it's battery replaced 4 times, and over 20 headlights replaced.

That sets the context, now let's talk about what's currently going on:

I had my AC compressor fail, it would start every time i started the car, but about 20-30 minutes into driving the compressor would fail and start blowing hot. I then had a few fuses blow out in my car (the very next day). I'm a pretty natural guy, so I opted to just use my windows and ride out the rest of the summer without fixing the AC just yet. This is where it gets complicated.

A week after the AC started having issues I was driving home with no problems at all, got to a gas station to fill up, still everything normal up til the point I tried to turn the car back on. The battery had died, completely, and wouldn't even turn the cabin lights on. I got it jumped and brought it home and hooked it up to a battery charger/car jumper and attempted to start the car, it did not work. I then resolved to leave it on the charger for a while to see if it just needed to build a charge. I opted to leave it overnight, and to my dismay the car still wouldn't start, even with the charger hooked up.

I decided it was beyond my scope, and I took the car in to a non-volvo dealer, but still a very reputable german auto mechanic in Austin TX. What they told me was that my compressor on my AC was failing, and that there was a mysterious power draw on the battery even long after the vehicle was turned off. They elaborated by saying that even 12 hours after the car had been shut down anywhere form 0.25-0.3 amps were being pulled off my battery. I got the compressor fixed, and had all of my fuses checked, which ended up being a dead end.

What i decided to do was drop it off at a Volvo dealership to get them to explain this ghost power draw to me, because it alarmed me that something was drawing power and no one could explain it. Right now, what I am being told is if I want to replace the CEM it will cost me $1065 in parts and they aren't even sure that is the problem. Have any of you experience anything even remotely similar to what is happening to my s40?