Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2008 S40 Trunk Won't Open

Old 03-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 S40 Trunk Won't Open

Hello-on my 2008 Volvo S40, the trunk will not open. I used it this morning, then two hours later it won't open. The remote is fine, but I no longer even hear the trunk trying to open. I opened it from the inside (crawled in from the back seats) and the latch mechanism works, but it seems like there is no power going to the trunk latch. Other doors and lights are fine and the car is otherwise in mint condition with no corrosion, etc... Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy stuff first. Check for a blown fuse. If the fuse is fine, but the trunk release won't operate with either the release button above the license plate or remote fob make sure there is power to the servo (not sure what the proper name is for it). If you have power there when you should have then it is the servo itself.

Last edited by pkrface; 03-21-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 PM

Will do, thanks! Now I just have to figure out which fuse it should be.

Originally Posted by pkrface
Easy stuff first. Check for a blown fuse. If the fuse is fine, but the trunk release won't operate with either the release button above the license plate or remote fob make sure there is power to the servo (not sure what the proper name is for it). If you have power there when you should have then it is the servo itself.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 AM

I checked the manual and don't see which fuse it might be. It's not listed under any categories or fuse numbers.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:33 AM

OK all the fuses are good (glove box and engine). Still no response from the keyfob or manual trunk handle (which is actually electronic too). When I press the trunk release button on my keyfob, there is no sound at all from the trunk mechanism. Any other thoughts?

Old 03-22-2014, 09:42 PM

OK, quick basic idea of how it works. Think of it the same as a power door lock. You can unlock the door with the key(manually) or with the key fob, or with the power lock button on the door, right? Same function with the trunk latch. On the door lock they call that electric servo the "actuator", but it is essentially a servo that physically moves the lock, right? So either that servo or actuator is dead, or it is not getting juice to it when you push the button above the license plate or on the key fob. No power to the servo can occur several different ways. A fuse, pinched wire, loss of ground, bad connector, failed relay, etc. The simplest way to determine whether it is the servo or a power issue is to make sure power is being delivered to the servo when the button is pressed. Just pull the connector off the servo and use a mulltimeter or test light to see if one of the wires gets juice when the button is pressed. If it does then the servo is your issue. I assume you don't hear a click or hum if you listen closely when you push the button? If it were making a slight click or hum when you push the button then you have juice and the servo has just gotten too weak, so replacing it should solve the problem if that is the case. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:50 PM

OK thanks for this info, pkrface. I am in the process of checking this out now but I can't get those two rubber trunk bumbers under the trunk lid off. I got the clips out no problem, but how do you get those round rubber bumpers off?

Old 03-23-2014, 03:21 PM

Sorry, not familiar with the details on the S40. Are you talking about the rubber stops that make contact with the opening lip and keep the trunk lid from traveling too far when you close it? Most of those just pop through an appropriate sized hole with a tapered stop on the back side to keep it in place, and they get pretty tight over time as the rubber hardens and seems to attach itself to the metal. Twisting it so it breaks loose and using WD40 or similar to lubricate it usually helps make it easier to remove those.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:25 PM

Yes, the two rubber stops in thie first photo of this article:

How To: Change trunk wiring harness on S40

Can't figure out how to remove so I can get the carpet off.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jwoertz
Hello-on my 2008 Volvo S40, the trunk will not open. I used it this morning, then two hours later it won't open. The remote is fine, but I no longer even hear the trunk trying to open. I opened it from the inside (crawled in from the back seats) and the latch mechanism works, but it seems like there is no power going to the trunk latch. Other doors and lights are fine and the car is otherwise in mint condition with no corrosion, etc... Any ideas? Thanks!
Hi I had the same problem the wires in the boot door loom are probably cut it happens with them if you can get the boot open by pressing it down and pressing the button at the same time. It might take a bit of time to get it open but it will work

Old 09-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Default boot lock

hi i had the same problem. it was a broken wire inside the rubber tube cost about 60 pounds on ebay for new loom.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:24 PM

i put 12 volt down the lock on pin 1 and pin 3 this will unlock
if you cant do that just unbolt it from the inside