Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2010 S40 - Error codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 S40 - Error codes

Good afternoon everyone, I am new to the group and I would like some help with some issues I’m having. First, I’m getting the following codes - Brake Failire Stop Safely, Anti Skid Service Required, Engine Service Required. Also I’ve put in two batteries within a two month period. Took it to a non-Volvo auto shop and they installed another battery. They could not repair any of the error codes do to not having the proper Volvo tools to repair it. So I took the car to the Volvo dealership and the claim they could not find a single thing wrong with the car even though the non Volvo auto shop printed off the error codes for me to show the Volvo dealership. So the dealership cleared all the codes and said if codes come back, bring car back in. Within two weeks I got all of those codes back and now again another dead battery. I live about 100 miles from the Volvo dealership and i can’t just drive it down when it happens. I’m at a loss with these error codes. Has anybody experience this before and if so how did u get this fix? And is it something I can do myself?

Old 10-13-2018, 01:22 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

When the voltage of your car's electrical system drops below a certain point, you will get lots of random errors and codes, flashing lights and other anomalies. I suspect that's what you were seeing with the seemingly random and un-repeatable errors.

OTOH, there's no way in the world you should have to replace a 2-month old battery, though of course anything CAN fail. The fact it's failed again indicates that there has to be a problem with the charging system (alternator or associated wiring). A quick check with a voltmeter would indicate if your alternator is working (or not). Any local mechanic worth his weight in rocks would be able to check this out for you easily enough (assuming you can get the battery charged and driven to the shop, of course). It's an easy DIY test, if you have a voltmeter (which can be bought for a few bucks from Harbor Freight, or even received as a freebie during one of their frequent coupon events). A good, charged battery should show between 12 and 12.5 volts, and a good alternator will bring that up to 13.5 to 14.0 volts.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:12 PM

Hey thanks habbyguy, I’ll try that tonight and hopefully this leads to the root of the problem.👍🏾

Old 10-17-2018, 07:17 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It's the alternator or associated wiring. I'm going through the same issue currently. And the reman unit is not cooperating with the precise voltage required by the ECM so now I have a new unit coming. I hate doing work twice.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:02 PM

Good morning Hudini,
What is the Reman Unit? How much does it cost? Where is it located and where did u purchase it from? Sorry for so many question at one time lol, but just want to get this car fixed and back on the road. Please let me know if this fix your probably and if it was a rather easy job. Thanks in advance...👍🏾.....Oh did u end up replacing the alternator before u found out the reman unit the root of all the problems?

Thanks again for the info...