Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

280C / PO 193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 280C / PO 193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A

I have a 2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD with 87k. A few weeks ago I had a check engine light come on. Computer codes read 280C. After doing some research, I found this was Recall 190 to replace PEM and Relcocate. After sending it to Volvo, the dealership stated, "The check engine light is on, found code set for fuel pressure sensor. This is likely caused by the faulty PEM we just replaced today for the 190 Recall. Road tested ok and cleared codes". 4 days later I was experiencing short loss of acceleration, plus when starting my vehicle it would rough start. Note, this is what I was getting before the recall work was done... The check engine light came back on and I ran the codes again. This time I got the same 280C code and then the code PO193 came up twice. <Fuel rail pressure sensor A circuit high input.> After reading all these forums. I've concluded that I need to replace the Fuel pressure sensor. Volvo wants to charge $280 for this sensor! Ford came in almost $100 less!! I found out that these sensors are made by Bosch!! I did find a sensor sold by land rover #LR005493 that came in at just under $100!!
My question is, has anyone reading this replaced this part before and will #LR005493 work with my vehicle?? Also, am I on the right track with this issue?? Thank you for any suggestions!!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Swedespeed Forums - How to replace fuel pressure sensor for CEL P0193

This was the forum I found my info on! Will this work for a 2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD??

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It sure would be nice if it did fit our model. That forum post was for the S60R. Have you looked at yours to see if it looks similar to the one pictured?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Kye

I have a 2005 S40 AWD T5 that P0193, symptoms: Check engine light
surging
stalling while driving
Do you think it is the fuel rail pressure sensor
or fuel delivery????
I am afraid of the Dealership, HELP! I know there is a extended warranty on the fuel delivery pump but, it isnt a recall... it has to be bad before they will change it out. They do not have a way to check the sensor .,..only want you to buy one, and if it isnt the problem, they do not refund your money. HELP! Sounds like what???

Old 09-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Based on the above post a bad fuel rail pressure sensor = P0193.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Exclamation

Sorry I fell of the face of the earth! I'm still dealing with this problem...
I went to my local Volvo dealer and had them address the Recall ID # 08V033000 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINEELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

Read more: 2005 Volvo S40 Recalls | Find Used

However this did not fix the problem I've been having. My vehicle will lose acceleration at highway speeds and recently it will lose acceleration off the line. Very dangerous as I've almost gotten side swiped by cross traffic due to this issue ! I'm taking it back to Volvo and getting down to the bottom of this. I will keep you folks posted. FYI I've read another thread on a similar problem and they suggested replacing the fuel filter. Has anyone had this same problem and got it fixed??

Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 AM

Did you replace the fuel pressure sensor? In your first post you were looking for the best price but you never actually stated it was replaced, just the pump itself.

Also, clean the electronic throttle control while your in there. They tend to gum up and cause idle issues. My gas pedal has to be pushed a little too far (for my comfort) before the power comes on and then it comes on quickly meaning I have to back off a bit. You get used to it after a while but it's noticeable for a day or so.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 AM

I apologize for taking so long to reply to this forum! I ended up replacing the fuel pressure sensor and the problem was gone! Car's been running great ever since!! Thank you for your replies!!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Default Similar Problem But No Solution

We just replaced the fuel pressure sensor on our 2005 V70 (120k miles) after several months of check engine lights coming off and on but with no noticeable performance problems. We were constantly taking it back to the mechanic only to be told nothing was wrong with it (although misfires on three cylinders had been detected). Finally, when the car suddenly could not make it out of our driveway without stalling, our mechanic identified the fuel pressure sensor as the culprit. No recall has been issued for our car so we were out $900 (we do not live near a Volvo dealership but our mechanic was the former head mechanic at the now-closed local dealership).

We thought all was well after a week of driving but over the weekend we had two very rough starts (something new) after which the car runs just fine--but now the check engine light is on yet again. We love this car and up to this point have had no major problems (always have been religious about sticking to the Volvo maintenance schedule) but are at whit's (and wallet's) end. Any thoughts as to what might be going on here; perhaps something our mechanic has missed?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FPS did not fix it

I have had similar problems and have tried replacing coils, plugs, coolant temp sensor, cleaned MAF, and most recently replaced Fuel Pressure Sensor. Nada. Still starts stalling after engine reaching temp and then dies. No access to VIDA. this is a 07 60R. ANy other thoughts welcome.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 AM

After spending over $1,000 on parts alone, I think our problem is finally solved with our 2005 V70 wagon. I say that but then again I am not absolutely sure which fix actually solved the problem! The last thing our mechanic tried was to clean the throttle body. After that, the car has been running fine with no failed starts. One caveat--we have noticed a loss in fuel economy by several miles per gallon since that time. I cannot confidently say that the two are related but that has been our result. The car has been running and reliable since September 2012. I hope this helps others with the same problem!