Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Another Potential S40 purchaser

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Potential S40 purchaser

I'm thinking about purchasing my wife a newer s40. I haven't researched much about them, but she has expressed interest and so I am wondering a couple of things.

Currently we have a 2006 Jetta that she drives around. I adore this car. I purchased a Vag Com system and the ability to communicate with everything in the car is awesome. I saw that the Volvo's used a Vidas (spelling?) diagnostic system up to 2005, what system do they use now? Where are the cars assembled?

I would like to get here the AWD version, most likely loaded. What are the general concerns/grips that people have with Volvo's in general? I have read that some of their parts are a little "retarded" when it comes to cost. I am a mechanic for the Coast Guard and would be performing most of my scheduled maintenaince (don't the new ones come with service included?).

I'm sure there are people that have complaints about the cars, and would love to hear their argument as well. Like I said previously, we both really enjoy the Jetta, and were also looking at maybe a Passat or Tiguan in leu of the S40, or maybe the S60.

Overall, I'm looking to see if it would be a wise investment. I realize that Volvo's are known for their safety and the inability for the engine to ever die. I had always wondered what the little emblems you saw on the older Volvo's meant, 100K, 200K, 300K etc.

If you had the opportunity to purchase the S40 again, would you do it?

Thank you for any help.

Dave

Last edited by cuban11182; 06-04-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine/drive terrain components in Volvo are generally solid, just they are troublesome in electrical system etc. Overall you can trust that it will run long, but you'll probably have to take it to the dealer once in a while to fix those stupid issues that occur generally independent of mileage.

It's important for you to note that they "redesigned" the S40 in 08, but almost all of the changes were for ... changes sake. When my 06 was in the shop last week, they gave me an 08 loaner and they did strange thing's like change the gauge, move the digital clock display, change window buttons, and change the tailight design.. slightly. Things looked different, but really not better.

The only improvement they really did was make was redo the center storage console to make it larger. They also added silver rims to the volume control buttons which I thought was a nice touch. I also believe that legally in 07 they had to have TPMS (not in my 06).

So anyways gripes about my s40
1. Very dealer dependent. I had a problem with a fuse in my ECU last week, and my service adviser assured me he had it hooked up to their expensive volvo computer for 4 hours pulling codes... (I still don't know whether he was full of it though)
2. storage center console tinnyy (fixed in 08)
3. volvo parts can be infuriating (I can't buy aftermarket wiper blades), and directions Ikea like (eg. Manual gives instructions for how to remove front lights and change bulb, for instructions on how to put it back it simply gives "put back the same way you took it out")
4. no one has quite figured out yet how to get a Aftermarket HID installation to work on the s40 100% yet...
5. Daytime runing lights "feature" = your light's on position is the same as lights off

As a mechanic I definately think you should think about how much you want to DIU with your car. As shown with somthing as small as wiper-blades, volvo is quite controlling and blantantly tries very hard to make you dealer dependent.

That's about it, I still love my car. A BIG note which I don't think that volvo gets enough credit for; it takes Regular 87 octane fuel. For a turbo car hitting 218 hp (more in 08), this is quite unusual nowadays.

If you like the design, and the drive I think the s40 is quite unique and is worth it over the cons.